Jun 25, 2005

Was that her hammy?

Today I went to the US Track and Field Championships at the Home Depot Center, and had one of the most enjoyable sports experiences in recent years. The weather was perfect, the complex was absolutely amazing, the event was extremely organized, and the competition was beyond what I was expecting. If you weren't interested in the running, you always had the shot put, triple jump, high jump, or the discus going on inside the track, and there was a new race on the track almost every 8 minutes. I do suggest that if you do attend a Track and Field Event, that you have someone who knows Track and Field pretty well. I ended up going at the last minute with my buddy Austin, who is the first person that I've met who is an avid Track and Field fan. He seemed to know everyone in the races, which he took advantage of during several wagers. A guy from Maryland made an appearance in the 400 hurdles, and got destroyed, which cost me a couple of bucks. I won my money back when Wariner beat the field in the 400. Watching the pros run the 100, 200, 400, and 800 is simply amazing. You don't realize just how fast they are going. Wariner ended up running the 400 (once around the track) in 44 seconds. And if it wasn't for Greene pulling his hamstring in the 100, I would of nailed the Superfecta with Gatlin, Crawford, Greene, and Nix. See, everything is fun when you turn it into some sort of gambling.

I guess it was just nice to watch a sporting event that was more about the sport than anything else. I wasn’t distracted by crap music pumping, long breaks between the action for TV timeouts, constant advertising, and teenagers butt cleavage walking around not giving two cents about what is going on in the field. For $30, it was well worth it.

3 comments:

Eric Z said...

Derek:

Re-read your last paragraph........ doesn't that describe your typical NBA game? And you call yourself an NBA fan? Why?

dzahn07 said...

Do as I write, not what I say.

Go Wizards

Anonymous said...

That Austin guy knows track.

Moneyball sucks