Jun 16, 2005

The Ex strikes back...

Ever had a relationship with a women at work? Well I have been known to dabble, to the point where Lee believes I don't have the ability to talk to pick up a non work women. My work relationships have ranged from young to old, from single to married, from one night stands to 4 year relationships, and let me tell you that they never end up turning out well. I remember I advised a friend of mine some time ago that the only way that a work relationship can turn out well is that you two get married. Period. And even with that you have to make the marriage work. Anything less than that, it will be a huge mistake.

Anyway, despite my advice to my friend, I got involved with a consultant for our company that we ended up bringing on full time. She was a programmer in our IT department that was deeply involved in the development of our Claims Operating System that I would regularly be involved in for performance management issues. The relationship started out innocent enough with a couple of dates and such, but then I lost interest after she was planning trips to Oakland and San Diego, and trips back to Stubinville, OH. The dumbass that I am, I did not end the relationship like a smart person would, but I decided to end it like a lazy selfish man by not returning any of her messages.

Well, I've done an excellent job of avoiding her the last several months until today. We had major issues with our Claims Operating System (CRN), that I was put on a conference call to drive the programmers to come up with a fix asap. Well who was one of the programmers? Yup, my ex. Well at first it was funny to my buddy Austin and I, where we had to mute the phone because we were laughing so hard, but then it turned pretty ugly, with me for some reason acting like Dr. Evil speaking to his son. I kept on cutting her off saying the same word "Unacceptable" and she kept on yelling something else back. It came to the point to where Austin and my ex's boss had to step in. Don't know if it was a preemptive strike, thinking she would take advantage of me because I was feeling guilty or what, but it wasn't very professional. Don't know what happened to me. And I wish I could say that I learned my lesson, especially at my level, but my friend Bridgett is planning on setting me up with a co-worker from another office. Let the awkwardness begin!!!!!

P.S. I'm drunk.

2 comments:

Eric Z said...

Wow. Workplace romances always end in trouble. I remember back when in my first job, there was this secretary that was always trying to hit on and hook up the single guys in the office. She had a kid to support. Well, one guy took the bait, they got engaged (he paid for all of her student loans and other debt), and then they broke up. It was ugly for 6 months or so.

That's the worst case. I think the best case is how Derek describes - lots of awkward moments in the office.

Buck Super Stereo said...

i don't know. for those that know me, i am obviously one of the abnormals that had a successful workplace romance. i can see your point, and i actually had another romance before i met my wife. in fact, that chick got dumped for my wife. i was just reminded that i was out drinking with the first chick when i first hit on who would become my wife. after i set my sights on her, i couldn't give a fuck about the other. workwise or not. and she and i worked closely on future projects too. granted, she was a nutjob and nothing was ever normal between the two of us (she always overcompensated on the happy side of things when i was around), but i could care less because i was happy. maybe i avoided the awkwardness because i had someone else at the office to take the place.