Jun 26, 2005

Match Play Golf

The Iowa City Match play tournament ended this weekend. 29 golfers ina bracket format with the winner determined by the end of Sunday. The highlights:

1) Shot well in the seeding round Friday morning; shou a 74, which made me the #2 seed and gave me a bye for the afternoon;
2) Came out flat on Sat morning, but pulled off an Eric special; was 3 down with 6 to play, but won 13, 14, 16 and 18 to win 1-up
3) Sat afternoon in the round of 8 - birdied the first 2 holes and never looked back - won 3 & 2
4) Sunday morning in the semis I played a good friend of mine. He got me early - he was up 3 thru 8, before I tried to come back. I hung tough, he missed a couple of short ones coming in, and I was 1 down going into 18, and had a 15' for birdie to force extra holes... but missed.

Not bad for having no clue where my driver was going. That's the worst feeling - stepping up to the tee and not being sure at all what direction the ball will go. Is it a 210-yard duck? A 240-yard push-fade? A 250 yard low draw? Who knows...

If Don or Kermit are out there, this tournament probably cemented my reputation as the slowest player in Iowa City. You know what? I don't care.

Match play is great golf. It's all mental. You can really get inside someone's head by making a key putt at the right time, or taking advantage of a mistake.

2 comments:

RRD said...

What are the prizes in these tournaments, a $15 gift certificate to Wall Drug?

Eric Z said...

Well, close. A $40 certificate to the pro shop. I got me a nice Hawkeye golf shirt!

Wall Drug - that's a good reference!