Oct 18, 2005

Stomach Punchers

I just read BSG today. Good article, describing the pain of a loss like. But I'd like to expand on two points.

1) I know this is an old, tired rant from me - but when SG calls himself an expert in the Stomach Punch, my skin crawls. He's not. Only one of the teams he roots for has a history of excruciating losses in the playoffs. What about the Celtics? Pats?
For every Buckner, I have a Mesa. For every Boone, I have a Byner. What about Red Right 88? The Drive? The Shot? Pedro? Even the Move?
No other fan base has had to put up with what we have. Period. Take your woe is me crap and shove it.
It's ironic that we have to hear BSG talk about this pain when he titled his book "Now I Can Die in Peace". That's like hearing John Edwards talk about poverty. You can't relate any more once you've become rich.

(thank you for indulging me)

2) He mentioned that "the pain never goes away" even if the team wins a title. I can't relate - yet - but I ask myself the same questions:
Will the pain of Mesa go away if the Tribe wins the WS? I think so.
Will the pain of the Drive/Fumble go away if the Browns win the SB? I'm not so sure.

3) Because I have to suffer this pain, I don't want to see anyone else be happy until my burden is lifted. I'm very happy about last night's ending; I'm rooting for the Cards whole heartedly now to complete the Astros choke.
And, of course, the perfect ending would be to have Bobby Jenks blow a 2-run lead in game 7 vs. St Louis. Then the pain of the Astros and the White Sox would continue on.

Yes, I'm masochistic.

1 comment:

dzahn07 said...

Despite winning the next year, I haven't forgotten about Gibson. If the A's win the World Series again, I don't think I will forget about Jeter and Manny.

On the bright side, I nailed the White Sox in 5 correctly, and I'm on my way to Cards in 7. This could turn everything around for me!!!!!