Oct 14, 2005

More Random Thoughts

1. Need a lawyer? Can't do much better than this guy...

http://www.jshfirm.com/custom.cfm?name=c_attorneydetail.cfm&id=7

Imagine trying to go up against him in court.

2. Midnight Madness is upon us - which means it's time to go get the NCAA BB preview issues! Who cares about who is in the top 25 - I go right for the important stuff like:
- what new fodder teams have entered D-I hoops
- what conference changes have taken place (where is Centenary now? Oral Roberts? Boise St?)
- what interesting non-conference games will take place in November that I can take advantage of (usually involves a mid- or low-major vs. a team that's coming down but still has a reputation). Those are the money-makers.

I swear, if Stump the Schwab ever had a question like "There are 22 teams in the Atlantic Sun and the Southland Conferences. Name them", I'd get at least 17 and I'd outlast Schwab.

3. Two great articles by Dr. Z. and SG today regarding football picks. Dr. Z about his experience in trying to pick NFL games, and SG in breaking down the "Kitchen Sink" philosophy that I whole heartedly agree with. (I was 4-1 in the 5 games he mentioned).

But in a box in SG's article, where it says "Gambling Stats through 5 weeks", it says underdogs have won outright "26 out of 37 games". What does this mean? There have been over 64 games played in the NFL - so how do we get only 37 underdogs???? I don't understand.

4. I meant to blog on this earlier in the week, but here goes:
The great thing about the midwest is that there is a distinct change of seasons. Last week in Iowa, the temperateures dropped from highs in the 70-80 range to 55 over two days.
One may think that's depressing, but it's not. So many people commented that "it now feels like fall.... feels like football weather". What a great feeling.
It's one thing to tailgate in September, when it is 85 and sunny - but you really aren't into a football game with that weather. It has to be chilly (or even cold) to get the blood boiling.

Twice last week I walk into the plant - it's 45, 10 mph winds - and I think to myself: "there's no better place to be in this weather than in Cleveland Muni parking lot, 3 hours before gametime, lighting up a grill and drinking beer/liquor".

I know we all have different favorite places/ways to tailgate - but when the weather turns like this, my mind always goes back to the lakefront and the Sunday Morning party/tailgates we had before Browns' games. The chill in the air, the small of chili and brats, the anticipation of the game (especially if the game was an important one)...... it all comes back to me once the seasons change.

Am I crazy, or do others experience this feeling as well?

2 comments:

dzahn07 said...

Two quick comments and then I have to go back to work. I disagree with SG on his kitchen sink theory. Not with the theory itself, but who he used as an example. He picked a 1-3 team that is basically out of it and a 0-4 in GB. By using these two teams, he basically nulled the rest of his argument about the kitchen sink since he is just slanting it for his benefit. What about the Ravens, AZ, and the Rams? All three of these teams had more on the line than their opponent and came up short, especially AZ, who had the Panthers coming off of a short week on the road. SG and football gambling now goes into his baseball articles that should be used solely for entertainment purposes and not for any in depth analysis.


And as far as the weather thing goes, I'm going to the beach today, want to come? This is a way people try to rationalize living in places were the weather is so brutal. "Oh I love it when I can't feel my hands or legs, it gets me in the mood for football", or "excuse me, can you open this beer for me. I can't seem to open it with these artic insulated gloves." I'm sure if you poll 100 people on the site today, 80 would say they would rather be at the beach with 70-80 degree weather, than in the MW or cleveland in 40-50 degree weather.

dzahn07 said...

I am retracting my SG comment since he is 40-32 in his picks. I have no right slamming him when I can even eek out 4 wins a week.