Oct 14, 2006

Week 6 NFL Picks: Switch?

After Bob Barker introduces the 25 ladies from the Tuscaloosa Tuesday Lunch Club in the opening scene, and then Morty Ferdman needs 24 attempts to pull out the correct numbers in "Three Strikes", the show needs some quick games to make up the time and end by 11:59 Eastern.

Enter "Switch?" (a name that should have one of those upside-down question marks before it). It's a simple game for two crap prizes that is designed to save time.

If you're not familiar with the game, the contestant has the two prizes in front of them and a price for each one. The contestant either keeps the prices where they are, or they elect to "Switch" the prices. If you are correct, you win both the armoir and the snowmobile.

So - "Switch?" is the theme for this week. Do you elect to believe the conventional wisdom for the games, or do you "Switch?" it around and go the other way?

Cin-TB : Conv. Wisdom: Bruce Gradowski is a good QB.
SWITCH! No way they beat Cinci in his 2nd start. Cadillac is suffering through the sophomore jinx. Cin 27, TB 16.

Buf-Det: CW: Detroit's best chance for a win.
SWITCH! Did you see Kitna last week? Single-handledly gave money to those betting against the Lions. Buf 17, Det 14.

Phi-NO: CW: Philly is good enough to beat NO on the road.
I pass. I can't figure this one out. I wish I could play "Danger Price" or "Blank Check" instead. Phi 23, NO 20.

NYG-Atl: CW:Atl is a force to be reckoned with.
SWITCH! I am on the Giants bandwagon, especially with Eli on 2 of my fantasy teams. NYG 27, Atl 20.

Ten-Was: CW: Was should have no problem with Ten.
SWITCH! Like Chris from the Soprano's, I can't handle my addiction. On the Titans bandwagon I go again.
Was 16, Ten 13.

Car-Bal: CW: Bal's offense has been exposed as a struggling offense.
SWITCH! Fooled you, didn't I? Bal may have problems on offense, but did you see Carolina last week? They DID NOT convert a 3rd down vs. the Browns in the entire game!
Bal 20, Car 13.

UPDATE: Oh Dear. Ordonez just hit the HR. I can't imagine what is going on in Derek's place right now. Sorry about that.

Sea-StL: CW: StL is a flawed 4-1 team.
SWITCH! Sure, they may be flawed, but they are good enough to win this one with Alexander out! StL 23, Sea 17.

Hou-Dal: CW: Dal will heal up here vs. the Texans.
I'LL KEEP IT! I can't imagine the Texans scoring over 13 points. Dal 27, Hou 10.

SD-SF: CW: Easy game for SD after the last 2 Chargers' games.
SWITCH! Well, SF will give them a game. It may not be as close as the final score, however. SD 24, SF 17.

KC-Pit: CW: Big Ben will finally break out vs. the Chiefs.
I'LL KEEP IT! If Leinart can look that good vs. KC, I think Big Ben will do just as well. Pit 27, KC 10.

Mia-NYJ: CW: The Jets are playing Miami at the perfect time.
I'LL KEEP IT! Miami is a mess. Harrington on the road? Yes, please. NYJ 24, Mia 13.

Oak-Den: CW: A blowout for Den.
SWITCH! I have no reason why. I just think this will be close. Den 20, Oak 10.

Chi-Az: CW: Always take a Monday night underdog.
I'LL KEEP IT! My golden rule once again. Boy, this is shaky though. Chi 24, Az 17.

Results after last week:
Eric: 12-2-2 last week; overall: 42-33-4
Derek: 9-6-1 last week; overall: 35-44-1

16 best bets for this week:
Cin -5
Buf/Det Under 40
NYG +3
NYG/Atl Over 41
Ten +10
Ten/Was Under 40
Bal -3
Stl +3
Dal -12 1/2
Hou/Dal Under 43
SF +10
Pit -7
NYJ -2.5
Oak +15
Den/Oak Under 36
Az +11

I'm taking 4 double-digit underdogs? Yikes. Hope it doesn't work out like this contestant...

3 comments:

dzahn07 said...

4 more games. I'm not feeling any of these games. Nothing...I like TB as an upset pick, but Cincy has had a week off to prepare, so I think they will trounce TB. I like Buf, but taking a bad team on the road scares me now. Atl vs Giants is a huge question mark. I don't know anymore.

Pitt -6.5
Phi -3
Bal -3
AZ +11

Other Brad said...

EZ, impressive.

dzahn07 said...

What sucks is that I had a great day yesterday, but picked the wrong games to put in here. Ugh.