Oct 19, 2006

Random Notes

I don't mean to post over the great debate between Eric and Laura on VA politics, but just wanted to get a couple of things down as I sit here proctoring another exam for my employees.

1. Decided to let my XM Radio lapse since the baseball season was over. I was thinking that I could handle going back to regular FM/AM radio. Boy what a fucking mistake. Say what you want about XM, it is still 100 times better than the crap they put out there on the free airwaves. For example I listened to Ryan Seacrest talk to Fergie on her new album. You would of thought that he was talking to Bob Dylan on how creative and meaningful her lyrics were. London Bridge??? She pulled from her childhood of being on Crystal Meth to write that song. No joke. Never again.

2. Hired a guy from South Africa this week. Don't know why, since the other South African that I know is a prick. Yes Neil, I'm looking in your direction. The crazy thing is, he took the same path to the states as Neil did. Lived in Capetown, moved to Atlanta to become a lawyer, shacked up with some smart chick and moved out here while she is getting her PHD. I'll see if he wants to play Madden this year with us.

3. Found another caterer, thank god. Despite both parents being really excited about cooking everything on their own, with my mom promising three turkeys, two pork loins, a ham, and her famous cherry cupcakes, I feel like this was going to be a disaster. Not because the food would be bad, but that the families would be more concerned about preparing the food than the wedding. The new caterer is about half the price as the other one who was supposed to be a good friend of Carol's mom. I hope everyone likes BBQ!!!!!! Its all filler food anyway, right? Hmmm. Lets see if I can name all the food from every wedding I've been to.
1. Eric- No clue. Just remember that there was only beer and wine at the reception. And it was in this cool log cabin.
2. Jay- All I remember was that there was a flower on the dinner plate. And that we sang Patience as a group. And Joe and Blondie took very disturbing pictures up in their room.
3. Lee- No idea. Only remember Wiz doing his thing and Stiffy and his wife taking pictures of their ass and putting it in the guest book. Many other bad things happened here like getting stuck with a tab, taking Lee's keys by accident, and Lee losing his marriage license.
4. Lav/Derr- Nope. Can't remember. Remember more about going out afterwards than during.
5. Ty- see above. But I do remember having crabs later that night.
6. Currier- see number 4. That was a great location.
7. Stiffy- No idea except that he had cupcakes as his wedding cake
8. Lance- No idea about anything on this wedding.
9. Cox- Haven't a clue. I don't even remember going out afterwards.
10. Bruce- The only thing I remember about this one is that Keith and I ate with Mrs. Monkton and her gay son.
11. Gene- Italian buffet. Great filler food for drinking. And this is also when my muscle made out with Amy. Ohhhh that still pisses me off.
12. Larsen- I just remember a lot of drugs afterwards and I didn't eat.
13. Banz- Great cookout during the afternoon. This is what I'm striving for. Easy, simple, and it was all about hanging out and drinking.
14. Amanda- don't remember the food, but they had a keg in each corner of the room. Self service. Excellent idea.
15. Amanda 2- the worst steak I have ever had. Live band sucked.
16. Jon- Great food. But the only reason why I remember this is that it was just a month ago. Ask me again in 5 years. But still I might remember since the food was sooooo good. Scallops and meat. Hmmmm.
17. Kerry- Great location, but I can't remember what we had for dinner. This is where I found out I was alergic to lime.
18- Others- been to a couple of work weddings and I nothing really stands out.

So maybe its just me, but really nobody remembers the food. They do on the other hand remember the alcohol, location, and the after party, which is where Carol and I are spending most of the money.

4 comments:

Eric Z said...

KERMIT

KERMIT

Where are you?

Would you like to comment on the food at my wedding?

Zeitgeber said...

I am so glad you got another caterer! That was the best decision you'll make, not having any of the family trying to prepare all the food.

As soon as you start planning a wedding everyone likes to chime in on what people will and will not remember and what really makes a wedding. Jon and I heard it all and our conclusion was that different things will matter and have an impact on different people.

Everything I kept reading and hearing said to choose what is most important to you and spend the money there. That didn't really help me b/c I felt like there were a lot of things that were important to me. I like really good, fresh food and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that wasn't going to taste good. However, I also didn't want to get some crazy fancy dishes that no one would like either. I think BBQ is a perfect idea for a beach wedding. It's fun and casual and usually makes everyone relax a little and get happy.

I think the most important thing is to really make the wedding your own and about you and what you like. And I don't mean that in a "it's all about me and my day" way, but in a way that helps everyone relate to you as a couple and what you're all about. I just wanted everyone to feel comfortable and have a great time and I think you can do that through anything---the food, the alcohol, the location, but mainly through the people you gather together to celebrate with you.

neild said...

Just my friggin' luck that the only thing I don't have in common with your new South African employee is the "shacking up with a smart chick" thing.

Eric Z said...

Good call, by the way, on making sure a caterer is there. On further review, having the families cook the food would add a whole lot more stress to the situation. One item (out of 50) taken care of, right?

And in our reception the place did not provide alcohol. So we had to pay for the beer and wine and bring it in oursevles, 12-pack by 12-pack, bottle for bottle.

The good news is that we kept what was left over, and didn't pay for wine for two years.