Oct 10, 2006

2006 ALCS


I haven't been happier to be low on the radar since now I don't have to listen to Buck and McCarver do my fucking games. Seriously, this in itself makes my season. Hey, who is that doing the A's game? Lou Pinella? Shouldn't he be in NY right now.

So do I like my chances more against the Tigers than the Yanks? Yes of course. That Yanks lineup and the inability of Zito to pitch well in NY allows me to let out a sigh of relief that we will not have to face these guys. Not like it is going to be easy against the Tigers, since they have top notch pitching, a great bullpen, some speed, and solid defense, but it is making me smile that its not the Yanks.

This A's team is unlike those in the past, which also brings a smile to my face. For those of you who haven't watch an A's game this year, they sport a great defense, a legit #4 hitter, an excellent bullpen, and a coach that seems to be doing very well right now. They bunt and steal when needed and have a hacker in Payton who doesn't walk. And for those of you who never read Moneyball I won't go into the fact that it isn't about OBP and walks, but rather finding value, so that is why we have changed so much over the last couple of years. But that can all change with one game. This series is going to come down to pitching with these four things being key for the A's to win:
  • The Gambler- Its embarrassing to say this but we can't hit Kenny Rogers. Watching him shut down the Yanks made me laugh since that is how we look everytime we face him. And its not just this year, where he is 2-0 against us, but also in years past when he was with Texas (11-2 since he left the A's). He will be going in game 3 and 7. Ugh. Rogers pitching game 7 against us? I will cry if he shuts us down in game 7, even though I expect it. We must beat him at least once to have a chance.
  • Zito and Macha- for some reason Macha always leaves Zito in way too long in big games. Fans say they are OK with this since Zito is a #1 and the ace of the staff and he should be given some leeway. No way. This guy dies after 100 pitches. And Macha pulls him only 50% of the time when he hits this mark. And I blame this decision for the reason why we lost to the Sox since it was so obvious he was tired and Manny took him deep. Ugh. If Macha manages him properly we have a great shot at winning.
  • Loiza decision- I don't mind it too much. You know what Loiza is going to give you. 3 runs in 6 innings. Very conservative approach by the A's. Harden is too much of a risk. Plus do you really want Loiza to pitch game 7? I much rather have Haren throwing game 7.
  • Huston Street- Calero, Kennedy, and Ducherser don't worry me, but Huston does. Huston has been so rocky it really does scare me. I wouldn't mind seeing Kennedy in the 7th, Calero in the 8th and JD closing it out. But Huston is our closer and Macha will go with him. If Street doesn't blow a save we have a really good shot at winning this.

So as Zito throws the first pitch for a ball, I will go back into my playoff bubble for tonight's game. Already some questions on the lineup and the people who are playing, so it looks like Macha has his head in the sand again. Kotsay starting in front of Keilty and Chavez is way to high in the lineup. I'm predicting that the A's will take it in 6 games with Milton Bradley being the hero. Jim Leeland is not dumb enough to pitch to Frank Thomas, so I expect Bradley and Payton to benefit with fastballs.

9 comments:

Eric Z said...

Maybe you should live blog one of these games.... unless it is too stressful. I can understand that.

So are you rooting for the A's to go to the World Series, meaning that McCarver and Mr Holiday Inn will be announcing the games?

dzahn07 said...

Totally forgot to add how much we will miss Ellis...I hope everyone saw that crazy throw from Jimenez.

dzahn07 said...

The way this is going, if I do a running diary it wouldn't be any good since every minute I would just write down "fuck"

Polanco hitting .493 against us? Nice, lets groove him another 86 mph fastball.

dzahn07 said...

OK, I'm putting this in a post now.

dzahn07 said...

Nope, can't do it. I can't do a running diary for an A's game.

jorge blogsada said...

Excellent, now pick up your lightsaber and strike me down! Tigers in 4.

neild said...

What time is the Braves game?

dzahn07 said...

sloppy baseball and double plays. Switching to my old episodes of Scrubs and a pint of Honey Chicken to make me feel better.

dzahn07 said...

This ump sucks. Oh and thanks Lou for laying the super gooch on our baserunners will eventually score.