Oct 20, 2006

Random thoughts from the Piedmont

Good conversation going on down below in the comments of the political post.

1) What is up with Ms. Pac-Man? Why do all the current Ms Pac Man video game (the actual arcade games) have Ms Pac Man at super speed starting from level 1? Is it because they think the current youth can't handle or won't be interested in the slow speed of level 1 from our days?

1a) I think I have a blister from playing 3 straight games at the airport here. I'm sure some mothers standing outside thought I was a child molester or something - a single male in his 30s in a video arcade.

2) So -which video games would you like to see make a comeback and be installed in various airport arcades? My list:
a) Donkey Kong
b) Tapper - I LOVED this game, and couldn't wait for our trips to Dewey Beach in the summer to play this game at one of the arcades for hours.
c) Cyclone - "You there- Ride The FERRIS WHEEL!"
d) Frogger - I realize I am comparing myself to George Costanze
e) Q*Bert. I never was interested much in this growing up, but now miss it a lot.

3) Why does the NFL cede this weekend to the MLB? They don't play a Sunday Night game this week out of politeness to MLB and the World Series , but c'mon - who would you watch? Game 2 between the Tigers and Cardinals, or The Giants/Cowboys? I thought so.

NFL should just give MLB the old middle finger and say "I DARE you to get better ratings this weekend."

4) Taught a training course down here in Greensboro. I am amazed at how the young "kids" (God, I sound like Henny Youngman) are adddicted to the internet. During our class, where computers were needed, the internal network went out Monday afternoon.

For Tuesday morning, a student went out and bought a router for the students to use. OUr class did not require internet access.

Amazing what you would do with an addiction like that. She also planned to take the router back to Best Buy for a refund once the network came up.

5) Saw a presidential motorcade for teh 2nd time in my life down here. I was heading the opposite way on I-40 at 5:30 when I noticed there was NO traffic coming in the other direction. Two minutes later,I saw several all-black SUVs followed by a limo. Traffic did nor resume again for another 10 minutes.

Is that the best way to campaign? By shutting down an interstate in a semi-major city during rush hour?

2 comments:

dzahn07 said...

We now terminate new hires that are on the internet during our home office school. They are warned once and if they are on there again during class (3 weeks) then they are terminated. It has become such a huge problem.

Also another trend that I'm seeing are that the young staff will listen to their Ipods at their desk.

And what about Elevator Action? Loved that game.

RRD said...

How could you forget Dig Dug??