Jul 30, 2005

Meeting Expectations

Had a very interesting conversation with a guy who owns his own company last weekend about the current situation for service. He said that running a business in today's environment is extremely easy because all you need to do is deliver on what you promise, since so many companies can't even do that. He said that customers now are excited if you just deliver on what you promise, not when you go above and beyond expectations.

It is absolutely astounding how accurate this is, since I just moved and had to deal with the big offenders of poor customer service, and here how it went:

Cable: Had to cancel my Adelphia Cable two times and then just received a bill for Aug service today. Called up Adelphia and spent 30 minutes getting my account closed. New service with Cox Cable took 3 service calls to finally get everything set up. Our digital box has blown out twice now, and I still don't have my MLB package. I could just switch to Direct TV, but they absolutely screwed me about 4 years ago and I will never go back to them.

Phone: Had MCI service and just wanted to switch locations and told me it will take three weeks. Asked them why, since when I changed to them, it only took a couple of hours, they did not have a response. After two weeks without service, I called and they said it would take another two weeks. Ended up cancelling them on that call, and switched to SBC. SBC couldn't get their act together and I still don't have a home phone. Ugh. Wouldn't mind switching to Cox digital phone, but I don't trust them either, so I'll just sit here an wait. Spent about 2 hours dealing with this.

Gas and Electric: Shut off service and had a $40 credit, and a check was supposed to come. Nothing as of yet, but I received a bill and now I only have a $25 credit since someone moved into my old place and is now using my account. Spent about 35 minutes dealing with this.

Its just amazing how crappy service is everywhere out there right. The customer's expectations are set so low right now, and they still can't meet them, that it is no wonder why there are so many attorneys out there.

2 comments:

Buck Super Stereo said...

i don't think i ever heard how DTV screwed with you. i still have it and still love it.

what's the deal?

dzahn07 said...

Three scheduled installation appointments, with three no shows. Called Direct TV, and they had contracted out the installation, and they were not taking responsiblity for any of the no shows. Argued for several times with CSA and supervisors, with nothing but more continued no shows.