Jul 12, 2005

Golf with Bob Wickman

Golf update:

1) Finished 2 shots out of the money at the Iowa Masters. Rounds of 80-73 put me on the cut line as I advanced on the number, and a Sunday 76 helped me to pass a few players, but I ended up tied for 47th where the top 40 was paid. I guess I should have started the tournament par-double-double.

2) We had the Iowa State Amateur Qualifier on Monday - 49 golfers for 34 spots. With those odds, the strategy is clear - don't make any big numbers, shoot 78 and things should be OK.
So I went into my classic "Pat Buchanan" golfing mode - ultra, ultra conservative - relying on my putting. My strategy for each hole during the round: "Just get me to the green, where I can 2-putt from anywhere". My putter is my Bob Wickman. It's not flashy, but it's effective.
1st hole - hooked drive, 5-iron hook-punch on the green to 70 feet - and Wickman closes the deal with a 2-putt par. The young flat-belly in the group hit driver, 9-iron to 12 feet above the hole, and 3 jacked. A good feeling.

Wickman must have had some bad mexican food before the 3rd hole, where he 4-putted for triple (don't ask) - so then we went into ultra-ultra conservative mode (like Alan Keyes). Every hole my thought was to get to Wickman. Get on the green, and trust the putter.

Bottom line: Wickman was 11-13 in save situations; I shoot 79 and made it by 3. Off to the state Am on July 25-27.

1 comment:

dzahn07 said...

Is there anything better than the term "3 jacked"? Maybe relating your golf game to Alan Keyes, but it's close.