Jul 11, 2005

Bathroom Reads

Top Ten Bathroom reads.

1. Bill Simmons Article: Used to be the highlight of my day when he was turning out top notch articles, but now he is slipping and I usually end up getting pissed off if he is writing about baseball. But those legendary 10 page articles back in 1998-2000 were legendary.
2. Peter Gammons Article: Still solid stuff for a quick bathroom read, even if 90% of the stuff is false.
3. Tony Kornheiser-I'm back for more Cash: Used to love his articles at work, but his book is a standard in my bathroom. My legs have gone numb because I can't put down his book.
4. Oakland A's-2004 Guide: Great in depth bios on every single A's player all the way down to the rookie league. Also includes every trade ever made. Never gets old for me.
5. 2000 USA Today Baseball Year in Review: Nothing like combing over the stats 5 years ago and realizing that Greg Vaughn was one of the highest paid players that year. Great College and High School section, which is great to read to see if any of the top players made it to the big leagues.
6. Howard Stern-Private Parts: Perfect for your home bathroom. Quick and funny stories.
7. HardballTimes: This site might of been created for the business man's morning bathroom break. At least two new articles per morning, plus a recap on all the stats from the prior day. Printing out these articles in the morning is right behind getting coffee and putting on a new patch.
8. SuperSystem: I make sure that I brush up on this book at least once to twice a week. Keeps everything fresh in your head pertaining to poker.
9. World Almanac: I still haven't finished the 2003 version. Provides an insane amount of useless information.
10. Peter King: This was part of my Monday morning ritual, but now that I can't print out the entire article at once, I am now boycotting this site.

4 comments:

The Dudeman said...

My favorite bathroom read:

wireless network + laptop = anything you can find on the internet

And just in case of an emergency where there's no time to fire up the laptop before the tail starts to grow, there's always a copy of Linux Journal. I know, I'm a big dork.

Buck Super Stereo said...

could this perhaps be any more predictable....

i find that comics are a good toilet read.

i also go numb flipping through the latest issue of entertainment weekly. simple enough fodder to process in one sitting, yet compelling enough to make you stay in the shitter until you can't walk.

Anonymous said...

One and done for me. Have you tried adding more fiber to your diet? Who has time to read? I just like to look at scan the boxscores or check out the league leaders or look at pictures for the minute or two my buisness takes. Never could understand to why some people like to sit in their own sh-- anyway. Too many germs on your laptop DUDEMAN-that things must be a walking bacteria culture!!

Eric Z said...

What kind of an effort is it to purposely print something out for the bathroom? That's too much thought.

One indispensible read is "The Almanac of American Politics", by Michael Barone. Kind of like the 2003 Almanac, but all about Politics. So you can impress your friends by naming all 100 senators (I'll take Crapo on my Senate fantasy team!) or knowing the leanings of the representative from Michigan's 1st district (a conservative Democrat, Bart Stupak).