Aug 17, 2005

What might have been

Monday was the last real individual tournament of the year, the US Mid-Am Qualifier. I went to Chiacgo for the 18-hole qualifying round; 3 people advanced out of 45 or so.

Now, these USGA Qualifiers are crapshoots. Anyone who has played golf knows that some days, you wake up and your swing is clicking; but on other days, it just isn't there. If the swing isn't there on a qualifier - well, you just suck it up, shoot the best you can (75? 78?) and try again.

On the days where the swing is there, you have to take advantage. Monday was one of those days.

I came into the qualifier driving well, putting better (especially the 10-20 footers) and the weak link, my irons, were finally showing signs of life. Even though I hacked up the practice round on Sunday (and it's impossible to play a good round of golf after a 4 hour car ride), I felt good. Steve (my caddie, best friend from college) and I though -2 (69) would be a lock; anything under par would have a chance.

The course was 6500, par 71, and tight. I like it like that - I usually can keep the ball in play, and if the irons are working, who knows?

Well, I got off to a solid par on the opening hoel - the 10th - and the 11th was a 155 yard par 3. I hit the 7 iron to 3 feet. Birdie. Good start.
12 is a very tight (25 yard fairway, dogleg left, with OB about 10 yds left of the fairway) hole. I steered my drive into the trees left, and it dropped down. The punch out got a bad kick, I had to go over a tree and didn't make it; my wedge on was a bit fat, and my lag putt was 6 feet short. Now I need to make a 6' just for double. I did.

Argh. +1 after 3. The next 3 holes were tight par 4's; I went 4-4-4. Back on track.

16 is a short,tight par 5; 3 wood, 5 wood to 75 yards; 60 deg wedge to 6 feet. Birdie. Even.
Par 17; 18 is a short par 3. 9 iron to 15 feet. Steve and I see the line - 2 balls outside the left edge; unfortunately, I stroked it a bit too hard (I knew it when I hit it) and it caught the lip and missed. Par.

Even with the double, I finished at even for the back side. I feel good.

Par 1; par 2 even though I half-bladed a 7 iron. 3 is a 210 par 3; I hooked the 5 wood too much and that led to a bogey.
#4 is a 500 yard par 5; my drive was OK- hit a tree by bounced out inthe fairway, and my 3 wood ended up 35 yards short. I have a tight lie over a bunker with some green to work with; I hit a great low, spinning wedge to 10 feet.
Great; get back to even here, pick up another birdie along the way and who knows?

Steve and I have the line - it's on the right edge; I stroke it just the way I want.

The ball does not move and rolls over the edge. Par.

That was deflating. I am in a haze for the next two holes, and bogey #5 and #6 which are holes that I should make par on 90% of the time. I finish with 3 pars for a total of 74, +3. 70 (-1) qualified. Standings here.

I've never felt worse after shooting a 74. It was there. Even with the botched double on the 12th, I still could have done it. That putt on 4 will haunt me for a while. If that falls, there's no way I bogey 5 and 6, etc. etc.

The goal of qualifying for a USGA championship is so close, yet so far away. Maybe next year.....

1 comment:

Eric Z said...

What the hell??