Aug 17, 2005

Fantasy Football

Well, it's about that time. I will post my position rankings over the weekend in preparation for my draft on Monday, Aug 22. I really don't trust the rankings of the national magazines - they are too dependent on last year's stats; it seems their rankings are just a regurgitation of the yard leaders from the year before - so I use the national mags as a starting guide and then adjust according to changes in the coaches, FA, strategies, etc.

( Slightly off topic: it seems to me that you should be able to create a linear program (LP, for those nerds reading) that takes in the stats of the players and uses those to slove for an objective function that eqautes to any customized league.

For example, your objective function could be:
max z = (QB Yards/25) + (QB Passes)*2 +...+ (RB TD)*6 + (RB Yds/15) +...

where the coeffiecients of each variable are dependent on the league. Your constraints, of course, are the number of people at each position; you'd also want to constrain the ranking poistion of each player s- obviously, you couldn't take the #1 QB, #1 RB, #1 WR, etc - even though that would maximize the objective function. You'd have to set your constraint so that
(draft position of QB) + (draft position of RB #1) + .... > 100 (or so).

I wonder why this hasn't been created..... hmmmmm...... )

Anyway, back on topic - I have a choice between keeping Alexander or Jailbird Jamal Lewis. Any opinions? I'm almost set in my choice, but wanted to hear any last minute arguments.

(oops...did I let my anti-Ratbird bias show?)

2 comments:

skeetskeet11 said...

I hate the Ravens as well, but I think that Jamal is going to have a big year. Look, jail is nothing new to the Ravens, so he should have no problems on that front.

Alexander always seems overrated to me. Yeah, he can post the 4-TD day, but he's also capable of posting the 56-yard, 0-TD day. Jamal always seems to give you 100-yards plus a TD. And that's with 8-9 guys in the box. I think that if the Ravens' offense improves even slightly, he could have another 2000 yard season.

Other Brad said...

Mr. Wizard,

Jamal spent most of this year lifting weights and watching football tapes. I actually heard that they tried to use him like Burt Reynolds in that football jail movie.

I am big on Jamal this year, but add in the fact that Alexander is also playing for a contract.