Aug 7, 2005

Not in my house

Another morning ruined by babies. I understand that I have a short fuse to begin with, but it's getting tougher and tougher to stay quiet when things like this happens.

8:00am at the local Starbucks. The Starbucks is filled with couples and older men reading the paper, while relaxing and listening to some nice blues on the stereo system. I grabbed a nice little table in the corner and I've been doing some work, when all of the sudden a young couple with their one year old kid comes in and starts to reek havoc. They grab the table next to me, and for the next 30 minutes the kid either is crying or screaming in joy, right in my ear. And the parents are laughing, taking pictures, and thinking that it is so cute. And to top it off, the area where they were sitting at was completely trashed as the kid tried to eat a muffin and left about 60% of it on the floor, and the parents didn't even bother to clean it up. After they left, the men in the place all had a bonding moment, as we all made eye contact and did the manly nod as to acknowledge how ridiculous all of that was.

Now, if we were in a grocery store, beach, park, or fast food joint, I would not get mad because I know how tough it is to control kids that young. But kids that young do not belong in nice restaurants or places like Starbucks, where people are trying to relax or have a nice morning or evening. There is a place of kids of that age and it shouldn't be where it is obvious that adults are trying to have a nice relaxing time. I would rather see a kid of that age in a bar than Starbucks, since it is at least noisy in a bar and it will drown out some of that ear piercing T-Rex shrieking.

Now if I was a real man, I would do what Brian (dog from Family Guy) did in the last episode, where he is drinking his coffee and some kid is crying right behind him and he turns around and just starts to yell right at the kid, and then goes to the parents "Isn't that annoying? Isn't this ruining your dinner? And nobody is doing anything to stop me? How do you like that? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

So for all of you that have kids this age, please think before you start trucking your kid around everywhere and assume that people won't mind. This seems to be happening all too often out here in CA recently.

4 comments:

Buck Super Stereo said...

i'm with ya on the kid. i was trying to wrap up a weekend series on mvp this morning and my ankle biter simply wouldn't play nice in her saucer. if she's not going to be happy with all the gadgets on that thing, how the hell will i ever get any peace?

the biggest concern is your reference to family guy.

impromptu poll (and i may even put this up on the 9 page): family guy...good or bad?

Eric Z said...

I agree with everything you say. It's a judgement call, however, on what a kid-friendly place is - so they could consider Starbucks to be a place for kids like any fast food restaurant. When youleave judgemnt issues up to Sally the soccer mom, trouble can occur.

1. The mess that children make at restaurants is the reason why we now tip 20-25% when we go out.

2. Of course, 2 thumbs up for Family Guy. Who wouldn't??

Eric Z said...

The reason why I was so angry was because my "Moon over My Hammy" was overdone

-Brian

The Dudeman said...

Family Guy is fantastic. I can't get enough of it