Aug 4, 2005

Power of Advertising

So I'm in Des Moines this year - twice - and I'm watching cable in the hotel room. Now, the cable there has local commercials - unlike DirecTV at our house, which just shows national commercials for teh cable stations.

Anyway, we're still undecided about where to take our vacation this year. We usually take a late vacation, and it seems we're getting lazier and lazier in planning it.

I'm watching poker, and all of sudden one of the commercials is a state asking you to come visit. "Legendary history... lakes... great food...". It's an ad for the state of North Dakota. It shows a beautiful steak being served (yummm), two kids happily jumping on hotel beds, Indian reservations (Freddie loved to go into tepees the last time we went to a state park)...

And then I see the commercial again an hour later. Yes, yes, it all make sense now. It's only a 7- hour drive to Fargo. Why not vacation in North Dakota? All we need is a hotel with a pool, beds, some Indians that Freddie and Warren could hassle with toddler questions.....it's a capital idea!

Gees. I came to my senses a few days later. What's wrong with me and my willpower that I was actually considering vacationing in North Dakota???

No comments: