Aug 19, 2005

Tiger & the PGA

Regarding Tiger leaving Sunday night from Baltusrol as the leader in the clubhouse.....

I originally felt that Tiger was well within his rights to leave that night. It was unlikely that all 5 of the leaders would come back to him, and if he had some pressing engagement, then he must have done a benefit/cost analysis in his head and decided it was worth the small risk and leave.

But now I'm not so sure.

What kind of message would it send if Phil, Vijay, Steve, and Thomas all come to the range on Monday to see - Tiger hitting ball after ball on the range? Wow.

Tiger, in effect, would be saying: "I have no faith in all of you. You all are going to cower in my presence."

They all have before, why not now?

If winning majors is so important to Tiger, and he has a chance to not only win one but mess with people's minds.... don't you do that? Especially since majors only come around once every four years?

I don't know. I didn't see any of Sunday's or Monday's action, so maybe my comments are out of line. But I think the mere presence of Tiger at Baltusrol on Monday would have caused a couple of them to fold.

1 comment:

dzahn07 said...

Since I didn't even know that he left, I might be a little out of line in commenting on this.

From the end of Sunday's action (listened to it on XM), it seemed as Mick and company were ecstatic that they were going to wrap up the rest of the tournament on Monday, since the course was playing extremely tough and they were more concerned about surviving than trying to birdie a hole. At least this is the way that the announcers were sounding. The were going on and on about how lucky they all were to stop play that day and start back up on Monday, and that now Tiger had no shot.

Since I didn't watch any of the play, I don't know what made the course so tough, or if it just was the weather. But since it was coming from true golf coverage and not ESPN, I seemed to buy into what they were saying. Now if it was Skip Bayless saying the same thing on ESPN, I might side with you and say that Tiger shouldn't of left.

Just my two cents.