Aug 28, 2005

Text This!!!

In the Claims Insurance World, the advent of Text Messaging was a tremendous breakthrough. It allowed a claims operation from a centralized location to notify field claims handlers of new losses in their territory by Text Messaging them on their cell phones. Every new loss was text messaged to the claims handler with all the information they would need to make contact with our insured and in the end handle the claim faster and more efficient. We started using this back in 2000, and since then we have evolved to wireless broadband cards that allows us to issue checks to the insured on the spot.

But the backlash of this technology lies with the regular public. Now I don't mind kids text messaging back and forth, since we used to do stupid shit back in the day, plus they don't really know any better. But what sets me off are adults who text message. If anyone can give me a solid reason why an adult would text message another adult, then I will change my view, but until then, anyone who sends me a Text Message (without calling first) automatically gets put into the "What the Fuck is wrong with them" category. Especially when the message is long and I know that it probably took them 10 minutes to compose and send. Or it just says "Hey what are you up too?" Why not just call? Most of the time when I question the people who send me a message as to why they did it, their response is that they didn't want to bother me because it was too early or late to call. What they should know is that whenever you get a text message, the phone rings like you are getting a regular call, so its still bothering you. And with my Sprint phone, it takes me about 5 minutes to get to it and I still don't know how to erase them so it keeps a little message light lit up and I can't tell if I actually have a regular message. Just plain annoying.

5 comments:

Other Brad said...

When I first received my work phone, I recently numerous calls and numerous text messages for a girl named Deana. I figured that they would stop when people heard my outgoing voicemail message.

If I never see the letters "WTF" across my cell phone, I can die happy.

I finally started returning calls and text for Deana and they have stopped. I believe Deana has lost some companions.

skeetskeet11 said...

So you're saying that you're too stupid to figure out text messaging on your phone, so you hate it?

And you can change the tone that your phone makes when you get a text message so it's not the same as your ring. But you probably know that and just can't figure that out either.

I use it occasionally when I'm in a meeting or when someone else is in a meeting and I need to get a message across without a full-blown phone call. Usually for something incredibly important such as lunch plans or skipping out of work to play golf.

Fully agree, however, regarding the long text messages.

dzahn07 said...

Well now that I've gotten about 6 text messages (saw that one coming a mile away but still decided to post) ranging from F-Off to Lick my nutsack, I've given up on everyone.

Eric Z said...

Uh, how do I text message on this phone?

I feel like my Dad....

The Dudeman said...

I agree completely. When Beth first got her cell phone that had text messaging on it I was trying to humor her for a while so I'd text back when she texted me. One day I got a flat tire at work and left my car there over night figuring I'd get it fixed the next day after she drove me to work. Well, the next day I get a text from her saying, in many more words than this, don't get on 695 because traffic is terrible. So I wrote back since it was her new toy. It took me like 15 minutes to explain that I still had a flat tire so I wouldn't be going anywhere, but thanks anyway for the tip. 30 seconds after I send that text message I get one back. It says simply this: Please send again, I accidentally deleted that one. I was so pissed that I wasted all that time trying to type on the goddamn phone. I've never text messaged anyone again. Ever.

But I'm now very tempted to text something to Derek.