Oct 28, 2007

Wedding Gifts

I'm always confused on what to get people as a wedding gift. In the past I have left it up to the ole girlfriend or just gave cash. But now with Carol not knowing many of my friends back in Baltimore that well, she has left it up to me to purchase the gifts.

So there is a wedding coming up next weekend where I have never met the wife and I'm debating on what to give them:
  • Cash- Very boring, but very safe.
  • Crate and Barrel- When Carol and I registered at Crate and Barrel, we only put crap on the list that we would use and if someone bought the item, we both would be happy. I want to teach this guy a lesson for some of the crap that is on their list. 6 fondu forks, chipotle salsa, and two sets of cocktail napkins courtesy of the Zahns. Enjoy.
  • Mirage Bucks- I have a Mirage credit card and have been racking up the Mirage bucks over the past year. Anything that we can put on the card and then payoff we have been doing in preparation of our March trip. I think I have something like $1000 Mirage bucks, which I could give my gambling friend who would probably appreciate it, since they can be used as chips, but it probably wouldn't be a great first impression with the wife.
  • Go off the grid- I could get him something from his college, or make a deposit to his online gambling service, or gift certificates to some local golf courses, or an autographed picture of Jimmy the Greek, or a year supply of Stoli Vodka. Since I don't know the wife, shouldn't my gift be geared towards him instead of her?

1 comment:

RRD said...

I would suggest either cash or random C&B crap. Random crap will often lead to a hilarious/snarky thank you note for all the garbage you purchased.