Oct 7, 2007

NFL Week 5: Newman




"Hear me, and hear me well. The day will come. Oh yes! Mark my words, Eric. Your day of reckoning is coming, when an evil wind will blow through your little play world and wipe that smug smile off your face. And I'll be there, in all my glory, watching."


Well, that was last week for me. A miserable 4-12. It was Black Sunday, where I took a huge hit in my picks - and a sizable monetary blow if gambling was legal. Every time a result flashed on the screen that didn't go my way - like Detroit scring THIRTY FOUR points against the Bears IN THE FOURTH QUARTER - I knew how Jerry felt when he answered his door, opened it and heard:


"Helllllloooooo, Jerry...."


It's like the Grim Reaper. You don't want to have another Newman week.


I'll be golfing in a inter-club event today - with uniforms and personalized hats, too! - so everytime I'll check my pager frequently (like, oh, every two minutes)....


... and I'll have that nagging feeling that Newman is waiting for me with the latest NFL scores.


My day of reckoning came and went, Newman. Let's not have another one this week.


On to the picks:


KC 20, Jax 17 - I don't know who I'm drinking the Cheifs' Kool-aid.


Was 28, Det 17 - I think Washington will be able to move the ball rather well.


NO 31, Car 13. Boy, the Panthers are a mess right now. And David Carr is still there leading them?


NYG 29, NYJ 20 - I should have kept with my first impression - the Jets are way overrated.


Az 20, St L 16 - A clear letdown game for the Cards.


Pit 27, Sea 24. A classic game that should go down to a FG.


Ten 20, Atl 13. Ten should be fine at home - lots of running and time-consuming drives.


Hou 24, Mia 13. Should be a ball-control struggle here.


Ind 27, TB 17. Jeff Garcia will have some success, and TB's D will stop a couple of drives, but Indy should win comfortably.


SF 16, Bal 13. Boy, was I not impressed with Baltimore last week. McNair better snap out of his funk if the Ravens want to go anywhere.


Den 23, SD 20 (OT). The Norv watch is officially on.


GB 24, Chi 10. Favre, Favre, Favre, Favre.....


Dal 27, Buf 20. The Monday Night rule will be tried again.


Best bets: Last week: 4-12; overall: 28-30-6.


KC +2.5

Was -3.5

NO -3.5

NYG -3.5 (ugh! three in a row with this line)

NYG/NYJ Over 41

Sea +6

Sea/Pit over 40

Atl/Ten under 41

Mia -5.5

Mia/Hou Under 43

SF +3.5

SF/Bal Under 35.5

Den PK

GB -3.5

GB/Chi Under 41

Buf +10.5

1 comment:

Layup said...

Went 1-5 yesterday for the second consecutive Black Saturday. I still have one remaining College bet going into today with Boise St. I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't find the Boise St. game on TV last night until an hour into it I realized that it was tonight. Ugh....Onto the picks:

KC- I with you Eric. Don't know why. The only thing that we have on our side is that the Chiefs play to win.
Pitt- Both lost to AZ and have played some creampuffs, so I'm going with the home team.
NO- I will never place another wager on David Carr.
Indy- I learned the LG rule last weekend. When the starting LG is out and they are going up against a top notch pass rusher, go against the LG.
Indy Under- Run Run Run.
Ravens- We will see Boller in for the 2n half. Hopefully
Detroit
ATL- TN will win, but 8 points??? No.
Jets- How did the Giants not just destroy the Eagles?
Denver- Wagered heavily on this one. Norv on the road in a must win game? LT crying? Nobody is executing a poor game plan?
KC Under
GB
Bills- I'm with Eric on this one. Monday Night homedogs will cover.
Rams- In Gus we Trust!!!!
Bills Under
Denver Over