Oct 10, 2007

Updates and Random comments

1) Update on the appliance fight: Remember my post several weeks back on my problems with the insurance company? Well, it all boils down to whether a Christmas tree stand is considered an appliance. I provided the dictionary definition (thanks to some here on the board) that helps my case....the insurance claim adjuster has come back with a definition from....

(wait for it)

Wikipedia.

Unbelieveable. I had to print out this webpage to tell them - hey look, this is not a definition. I have threatened now to go to the state commission; they have promised an answer by Thursday. We will see.

Sports Update:

2) Warren is turning into Allen Iverson. Seriously. So we signed him up for 3-4 yeard old Tiny Tot soccer. It's been a challenge to get him to participate. For the first three weeks, he won't leave our side and go out onto the field. He has been pretty clingy. It's been so bad we've had to leave 20-30 minutes early becase it's just useless.
Well, he got his jersey last week, and today was the first game.
Guess what? No problems. He's out on the field, playing fine.

Practice? We're talking about practice here. Practice?

3) Football: So I'm helping to coach Freddie's flag football team. This is something else. This is a 1st- and 2nd-grade league. Some of the players haven't played any sort of organized football before, and some alreday have 1 or even 2 years experience.
And I'm trying to teach them plays?
We're 0-2, losing on the last play of the game last week. And the other coach celebrated and pumped his fist like it was the AFC Championship game. It made me disgusted for a bit.
Geesh, these are 6 and 7 year olds. We're lucky to have some of them snap the ball (sideways) without dropping it. I think it should still be more about participation at this age -everyone trying new positions - instead of going for the win all the time.

It's a fine line- you want them to be competitive and to win, but geesh- can we make it a little more subtle at this age, please?

Oh - and there is a runner on our team that has touched the ball twice and is 2-for-2. Two rushing attempts, two safeties. I won't post his name since some of you know him. His father is a bit embarassed right now....

4) Talking about embarassed.....we (Freddie and I) are heading up for the Browns game this weekend. I'd like to get there around 10, 10:30 and tailgate a bit in the parking lot for an hour or 2 before hand - play cornhole. throw the football around, etc. I was even going to buy a dozen Sausage McMuffins with Egg as food - I think those would be delicious in the parking lot on a 55 degree morning.

Well, one of our friends who is going to join us will not be tailgating. Why? Because he is going to a bridal show, even though a) he is a man and b) is not engaged (but he is seeing someone). Hey - you get whipped when you get married, not before!
I won't be mean and speaK or divulgE his name, but it's pRetty sad when this person can't enjoy a Morning of food, friendshIp and drinks in a parking loT. Embarassing.

2 comments:

mer said...

You forget c) he's also not a closeted homosexual. But, in my defense of being whipped. She's 23! And as all you married suckers know sometimes it's just easier to compromise a little bit. Yes it will be painful but I'll just keep thinking about 23 year old ass and I will have a nice smile on my face at the bridal show.

And actually it can be a little entertaining. At the last bridal show I went to (yes, she dragged me to one in January), I was making obnoxious statements (out loud) about how I've been divorced twice and how I'm working on my 3rd that was overheard by a mother of the bride to be. She turned around with this disgusted look on her face and said "Well, I hope this one works out for you". You have to picture me (a fat 38 year old) standing next to a hot 23 year old and this older woman commenting to me. It still cracks me up.

And to top that off, I ran into my ex-wife's best friend who was getting married. So, you know that as soon as he left there, he was calling my ex to tell her he saw me with a much younger woman. I doubt that this bridal show will be nearly as fun.

Layup said...

A couple things:
1. Kermit, Nice response. Classic. This is why I hold you in the highest regards despite going to Bridal Shows and playing slots.

2. Eric, why are you giving this insurance company chance after chance. You won't get any response until you report them to the DOI. Then magically the ball will start to move on this. Stop being so nice. The DOI is like telling mom. Shit will get done.

3. People who state that its more about participation than winning are usually the losers. You think Dad told all of us that when we were in 9-10 baseball playing in the BC Championship? No, he threw Steve Trout (8 years old at the time) out there on 2 days rest since out #3 pitcher was Jeff Pilson who made Paul Byrd seem like Nolan Ryan. We ended up winning with a game with a last inning hit by Greg Breback. Does anyone else remember this? See, how the hell would I still remember that if it was all about participation. But then I remember Mr. Diangelo at our games just yelling non stop at all of us. Has that guy had a heartattack yet?

3. What's Warren's first tat going to be? The scales of justice on his back? Fuck/Hate on his knuckles? Why am I now picturing Warren in Cape Fear? Ohhhh, sounds like a little Nephew/Uncle outing next time I'm in town.