Oct 19, 2007

Game 5 thoughts

Well, what can you say? Jay is right - Beckett is a stud in postseason. He was just awesome on Thursday night.

(By the way, I think I've finally recovered from the road trip to Cleveland Thursday night. Wow - I'm too old to do that again. Leave Cicni at 3 pm, get to the game around 7, leave the game at 12, and back in Cincinnati at 4 am. Yikes.)

Some thoughts:
- Hafner is really struggling. It got so bad that Steve and I had a quick discussion in the 1st inning, when we had 1st and 3rd with 0 outs. What should we wish for? Should we hope he swings away - but then bringing a strikeout into play and then possibly getting 0 runs in the inning? Or should we hope for the DP, guarateeing a run but sacrificing not one, but 2 outs? It's a shame that a Sac Fly wasn't in the realm of possibility for Hafner now - let alone a basehit.
We rooted for the DP, and got it.
- Why why why why why why why why did C C come back out for the 7th? We all were shocked to see that, wspecially with the topof the lineup coming up that inning.
- When we wiggled out of the 5th when Boston had 1st and 2nd with 0 outs - and CoCo couldn't get the bunt down and Lugo then hit into a DP - I was sure we were going to win.
- I think it is funny that the bench-clearing "argument" started when Beckett didn't like the way Lofton laid down his bat the pitch before. Ha! This is ludicrous. Um, Josh, you do know that Manny plays on your team, right? That's arrogance - calling out someone else for possible showboating.

Look, I still feel good. We have faced the best postseason pitcher of our generation - TWICE - in five games, and there is a 90% chance that we won't see him again - and we are up 3-2 in the series. We just have to win one more in Boston, with the pitching matchup tonight being a tossup of Carmona and Schilling. I just hope all our bats don't start to go cold for tonight.

I'd like to retract the Mr. Automatic Out title - its not Casey, it Franklin "3 syllables or 4?" Gutierrez. He's done nothing this whole series, save for the A-Rod like HR in Boston at the end of game 2.

Gooch of the decade: So Don, Janice and I were walking to our cars down Carnegie after the game. These two guys were setting up a table and putting T-shirts on there, yelling "HALF PRICE! HALF PRICE T-SHIRTS! TEN DOLLARS!"
We look, the T-shirts say "Cleveland Indians: 2007 AL Champions".

A bit of wishful thinking. If they won game 5, I would have bought one for $30, $40. But those guys lost a lot of money with the game 5 loss. Now what to do with that merchandise?

6 comments:

Schillzilla said...

You say 90% that you won't see Beckett again?? IF the Sox win game 6 I'd say there is a 100% chance you WILL see him again. At least for a couple innings. Unless you are saying that there is a 90% chance that the Tribe wins game six. But I thought I read that you felt game 6 was a tossup.

Eric Z said...

I'm serious.....is that true? I haven't heard that (and myabe it's because I'm tuning out the media because of the Joe Torre love-a-thon)

Beckett will be available for game 7? in what capacity? If Dice-K goes down early? Seriously, in what scenario would we see Beckett in game 7?

I was thinking more along the lines of a rain out.....

Eric Z said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Schillzilla said...

My guess is he would be available for 2 to 3 innings of relief. He pitched 4 innings of relief in 03 NLCS on two days rest, although we shouldn't model our pitcher usage/abuse after Jack McKeon.

Eric Z said...

Hey now:

Don't be mocking Grandpa. The crusty old man was LOVED here in Cincinnati and is looked upon fondly as the Reds now embark on the Dusty Baker experience.

Eric Z said...
This comment has been removed by the author.