Oct 12, 2007

CC? No no

Well, well, well. We have two postseason starts now for CC and two stinkers. Could he come back in game 4 or 5 and dominate? Of course, but right now given what we have seen from him in the postseason, lets not put him in Beckett's class just yet (in terms of postseason performance). I would still give CC the Cy Young this year though.

I had posted before the game from my cell phone trying to tell Layup how insane his thoughts were on CC and Carmona winning all of their starts. But my cell phone crashed before it posted. My main point was you had two great postseason pitchers in Schill and Beckett and you think they are going to go 0-4???? Plus 3 of those 4 starts would be AT Fenway. There was no way they would lose all of them. Finally, you picked the Indians in 7, but said CC and Carmona would go 4-0. That would be Tribe in 6 since they are pitching games 1,2 5,6. FYI.

Couple thoughts on the game.

I was surprised that they yanked Beckett. Yes I know the lead seemed secure, but that is risky. Worry about the current game, win THAT game.

Gagne. Wow. Everything is an adventure with him. It is clear that he is currently a complete afterthought by Tito

By yanking Beckett are they thinking of bringing him back for game 4? What does that say about the health of Wakefield? It is a very real possibility that they lose the next two and would be in an awkward position for game 4. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I was shocked they let CC pitch to Keilty in the 5th with the bases loaded and 0 outs. He clearly wasn't fooling anyone. Why not go to the strong middle/setup guys for a couple innings at that point and see if the Offense could scratch some runs to make it close?? Rest is not a problem for any reliever right now.

Manny and Papi are LOCKED in right now. They are hitting at 04 05 levels.

Fausto vs Schill. Should be the low scoring game everyone predicted for game 1. IF it is a low scoring pitching duel, the Sox need to get Carmona's pitch count up enough that he can't complete the game. If he can "only" go seven or eight, I would consider that a win. Finally, find a way to get Borowski in the game.

1 comment:

Layup said...

You misunderstood me. When I said CC and Carmona,I really meant Byrd and Westbrook. :) And yes, my addition sucked. What I should of said was for the Indians to win they would have to beat Schilling and Beckett all 4 times, since you really can't trust Westbrook and Bryd. But I went the other way and stated that they would win all 4.

While it was a bold statement its not all that crazy. I have no idea wht is wrong with CC and I have faith in Carmona. I think Joe Morgan said it best that CC is just being too careful for some reason and something happened to his confidence. Even against the Yanks he walked 6? Morgan also pointed out that CC seemed to ignore the scouting reports on both Papi and Manny and just kept on nibbling on the outside instead of coming high and tight on both of them, which is typically their weak spot. And what a great adjustment by the Sox as well by not swinging at those outside pitches.

So with that being said, the Indians have to get lucky tonight and get a win, and then bank on Westbrook and Byrd to come up big back at the Jake.