Oct 26, 2007

I love the Salami!

(upon reading this post title, Steve and Kermit ask "well, what took Eric so long to come out of the closet?)

No, not THAT salami. The Grand Salami!

The Grand Salami has the capability to pull the NHL out of the abyss.
What is it? It is a gambling proposition every night on:
1. the over/under on the total number of goals scored for all games;
2. the total # of goals scored by home teams vs. away teams.

Last night, I decided I needed a distraction from the adult Halloween haunted house - 600 kids at an Elementary school for trick-or-treating. Anyway, there were 9 NHL games last night; the Grand Salami over/under was set at 52. So if gambling was legal, I took the under.

By 9:00, a couple of games were final at 2-0 and 3-0. The Salami bet was looking good!

A 1-0 Phoenix final came in at the end - the grand salami total came in at 39. I was a winner!

Tonight we continue to push our luck with the salami (if gambling were legal, of course); I have the over 29.5 and the home teams -1.5 goals. Five games are on the schedule tonight.

Tomorrow is the grandest of all grand Salamis - 12 games on the docket. I'd expect the over'under to be around 72 or so.

Leland is actually going to glance at the ticker when NHL scores are shown - that's a HUGE gain for hockey and the NHL! Those VS ratings will quadruple from 0.01 to 0.04 with Leland and I now paying attention.

1 comment:

Layup said...

I have to agree with Eric that this might be the only way to pull the NHL out of the dumps. Since Eric has started to bet on the games, I've been tracking some of the teams.

The bigger question is why don't they do this for the MLB, NFL, or NCAA? Can you imagine us at Vegas and we took the over in the salami on opening day of march madness? And it comes down to the late game and some guy on Iona hitting a free throw? We could actually see Micah break all of his toes!