Oct 20, 2007

Rat Pack Shine on Saturday Night!

Yessssssssir!! The crew who I criticized as a Rat Pack of automatic outs, actually dominated game 6 - who knew??? I had to Tivo the game since I was going to the MD / UVA game (homecoming). We had a great time at the game, and planned to leave no later than halftime (around 9:30). I was taping the game on two different Tivos on two different channels - just in case. It was KILLING me not to be watching it live, but Luke was REALLY looking forward to the football game, and it was a beautiful night to be outside, so what can you do??

We ended up leaving a little before halftime, as I narrowly avoided seeing the score that was flashed on the big stadium video board. I covered my ears as Laura was screaming "DON'T LOOK!!! DON'T LOOK!! COVER YOUR EYES!!". I covered my eyes and shrieked in horror. Basically we re-enacted the opening of the Ark scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark. People sitting next to us must have thought we were mental.

Couple thoughts:


  • Derek put the mega whammy on Carmona and CC. Seriously, they would "win all their starts"? Well he was close. They went a combined 0-3 with 23 ER in 16 IN. What do I owe you?

  • I know the Red Sox are very conservative and careful with their pitchers, but I don't know how you can't look to get 2 or 3 innings out of Beckett. If Derek Lowe can throw 6 innings in Game 7 on two days rest in 04, then why can't Beckett give you a couple innings of relief?

  • Gagne and Perez looked great in their new roles as mopup men

  • I know you try and keep guys from getting rusty, but was it necessary to pitch Borowski in that game? Wouldn't you rather have him rested and ready to go in case he's needed for multiple innings?

  • Jacoby Ellsbury - finally. If I had to watch Crisp fly out weakly in one more AB I was going to lose it

  • I can't tell you how pleasant it is to watch a Sox playoff game in which the broadcast doesn't have the word "Curse" in it. Such a relief.

  • Tito better have a quick hook tomorrow. Dice K has a fabulous Wakefield-esque ability to go from cruising to "4 spot" at any moment. This will be an incredibly difficult decision to make. It isn't like the bullpen has been great, although adding some innings from Beckett would be a lift.

  • If you were Wedge, would you go to CC in a close game tomorrow (on 2 days rest - like Beckett) out of the pen? They made a big deal about never relieving, but I don't think that matters. Of course you wouldn't bring him in the middle of an inning since that would be foreign to him, but I'm saying to start an inning. Say 6th inning of a tie ballgame. Would you do it? He's pitched like such crap, but he's the Ace. Incredibly tough call.

  • Did anyone miss seeing towels? It looked like a great playoff atmosphere to me. We don't need no stinkin' towels!



There is one game on Sunday night, there will be exactly one game to be played on Sunday night, so win that one game.


Its alive, Its Alive, ITS ALIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

RRD said...

Any thoughts on the UVA/UMD game? I'd like a Terp perspective.

Layup said...

Jay,

A couple of things:

- I give a lot of credit to the movie Fever Pitch in depicting the scene where many of us have been before. Men who have had to battle through an evening without seeing or hearing the score of the game that you taped. These scenes alone make the movie a great watch to big sports fans. Its amazing that you did not hear the score from random fans Jay. Impressive.

- It seems like all the cards are against the indians. Beckett looming in the bullpen, Haffner sucking balls, the sox 6-9 hitting once again, and what looks like total confusion on defense and offense for the Indians. But this is when the tables seem to flip and the so called underdog will rise to the occasion. At the start of the series it seemed like nobody gave the Inidans a chance, then the roles swapped with the Indians up 3-1. And now its the other way. This has been a great series and I think that this game will be tight and will come down to the last inning with our favorite closer Borowski coming in with a one run lead to close it out. I don't know how its going to end (nor would I lay the gooch on either one of the teams), but I firmly believe that either Luke or Warren might get hurt tonight by a flying remote control.