Oct 24, 2007

Random Notes

Some hot topics:

1. I'm a little better after Sunday night. Thanks for asking. But it will be hard to watch the World Series. Now, this won't be a complete media boycott - such as Super Bowl XXXV. To the amazement of Derek, I made a decision to boycott the Super Bowl that year and consciously did not watch any of the Super Bowl. I puttered around the house - did the bills, watched a random South African golf tournament on the Golf Channel.

Derek ended up calling around 10:30 or so that night. I still remember that conversation.....

D: "Hey - did you see the end of the game?"
E: "Uh, no, I said I wasn't going to watch it".
D: (clearly still not believing me) "You didn't? You didn't see Stover's kick?"
E: "No. What happened?"
D: "Stover won the Super Bowl on a last-second kick. 3-0, Ravens, final".
E: (sigh, 5 seconds of silence...)
"Well, I guess I'm happy for Stover... he's an old Brown"
D: (5 more seconds of silence, now a bit shocked)
"You're serious? You didn't see it?"
E: (annoyed) "No! What part don't you understand?"
D: "Wow..... "
(10 seconds)
D: "So do you want to know what really happened?"
E: "I guess....it is good news for me?"
D: (3 seconds....)
"No....31-7 Ravens....they dominated"
E: [click]

I'll watch some of the series - but I won't go out of my way or plan any viewing. In fact, I'm watching a TiVo'd episode of "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" on BBC America.

2. Browns play the Rams this weekend. The interconference games occur every 4 years now (in the past, it could have been longer than that). It's fun to reminisce on the rare times we get to play NFC teams. I usually can recall each and every game vs. NFC opponents over the past 10-20 years.

Last time we played the Rams was in Cleveland, in 2003 - the last home Monday night appearance for the Browns. Couch got hurt; Kelly almost led the team back as we lost, 28-23 (and we were 4 pt dogs, I think, so no cover for the Browns.)

1999 was our first year back in the league; when the schedule came out, I circled the Rams game as one of the few chances for us to win. The Rams were coming off a 4-12 season, and in week 1, Trent Green got hurt. Even a better chance for the Browns, right?

Well, we should all know the story..... Kurt Warner came in, and then in week 7, the eventual Super Bowl winners killed us, 45-13, in the most recent game in St Louis.

We also played them in Cleveland in 1991..... .wow.......I was supposed to go to that game, being a junior at Case. Steve got me tickets and was going to pick me up at the dorm. I ended up canceling for a reason that I probably won't talk about here.

Will the Browns actually win 2 in a row and go to 4-3?

3. So - how am I going to break out of my Travis Hafner-like slump? Another terrible, horrible week (3-12). Geesh, Freddie can probably pick better....

hey, what an idea! Maybe I'll let the kids pick my 14 games this weekend. I mean, it can't get any worse....can it? How am I going to snap out of this?
Feel free to pull a Leland and take the opposite of my picks for a while. Lord knows, someone needs to win money off of my horrendous performance.

5 comments:

jorge blogsada said...

3-0??? Seriously? I totally missed that one. Must have been a crazy finish. That reminds me of the time I beat derek in gameday 98 3-2, ravens over the broncos, in the snow, in ot. And I think it was, matt... sonofa...

Eric don't feel too bad. Some years your team sucks, and some years, it's really good, and then sucks for a week, and that really sucks. What you should feel bad about is Derek hanging papelboner posters all over his bedroom. He's totally lost it.

SteveB said...

Why did you miss the '91 game. I don't remember.

neild said...

3-2 in overtime. That's not possible slick. By definition you would have been down 2-0 before the kick which, in overtime, would mean the game was over. Why that seems almost as unlikely a finish as Michael Vick running for a 45-yard touchdown in overtime against the Vikings to beat the spread.

Buck Super Stereo said...

what a great time to make sure everyone saw this post.

jorge blogsada said...

that post and this link
http://www.channel
frederator.com/
methminute39/
episode/
TMM_20071025