Jul 29, 2007

Z is for Victory!

Our local public course - Crooked Tree in Mason - had the club championship this weekend. Long story short - I shot 76 the first day, highlighted by a bogey on 16 and a double on 17 (nice finish!). I ended up 2 strokes clear of the field.

Started today - doubled an easy par 5 to start to lose the lead....... and by the time we made the turn, I was up by 8. I ended up shooting 37 on the front (made a few nice putts) while every one else in my group shot no better than 42. I don't understand it.

Bogeyed 15, 16 and 18 - 18 is a par 5, and I played it with the following clubs:
5 wood
left-handed wedge
wedge
7 iron
9 iron
15' sidehill putt in!

I shot 76 (again) today and ended up winning by 7. I was thinking what Jim Nantz would say coming up 18 - and the best I could get would be the title of this post.

It's a pure target golf course - I hit driver on 3 holes - and big numbers are everywhere. I made 3 doubles - which sounds bad but consider that there were three 9's in the group between my opponents today. It sets up nicely for a thinking man's golfer.

Played with a started yesterday and he told me that the head pro's son (who is about 19 or 20) is in the group in front of us. The conversation went like this:

Starter: "He's a good golfer! Hits the ball a mile"
EZ: "Really? Does he play college golf?"
Starter: "Oh yes! He's that good! He plays for Ohio State...."
a bit of a pause there...I'm thinking , that's weird - if he played for Ohio St, I would have heard of him or seen him up in Springfield for the states....
Starter: "Newark."
EZ: "Um...what? Ohio St - Newark?"
Starter: "Yes! He's on the golf team there!"

OK - when I was at Case, where it took an average of, oh, 91, to make the team, we played these satellite campuses (like Ohio St - Lima, Penn St- Behrend, and Akron-Wayne) in our tournments. And let's be honest, no one was any good. Winners shot like 78 or so.
(Although the weather was always crappy - it was always 50 and 20 mph winds for spring tournaments in Ohio. Kermit wore short sleeves and shorts in that weather).

So people's perspective are a bit skewed. It was nice kicking his ass today (he shot 84 to my 76).

Anyway- that win gets me into the Greater Cincinnati Tournament of Champions, and an automatic entry in the Crooked Tree Ryder Cup team in October. It's a sad state if I have to carry that team. I'll try to recruit Don, Craig and Mike for the team.

Off to Apple Valley tomorrow.....

No comments: