Jul 22, 2007

The Track

Jesus, this Open is wonderful. Since Eric is behind right now, and I'm sure he is checking online, I'm not going to ruin anything for him, but WOW. Also, I'm actually liking a lot of the previews of the fall lineup on ABC.

Anyway, yesterday was absolutely wonderful at Del Mar, except for getting destroyed and only hitting one large wager.

  • Started the day off with a wonderful breakfast in Solana Beach with one of my supervisors and his girlfriend and Carol. This place had the BEST bloody marys I've ever had. Two in me, and I'm ready for the track.
  • Got there around 1 hour before post time and the place is packed. They are expecting 40,000 people today. They had 42,000 on Wednesday when the season opened. A Saturday or Sunday here at Del Mar is really like the Derby or the Stakes. About 50% of the people are dressed up, the crowd is very energized, and it is more like a party than your normal atmosphere at a regular track.
  • First time I purchased actual seats. Usually I will either just putz around on the first level or go into the infield where you can spread out a blanket and watch the races inside. If I'm going by myself or just with Carol, I will do the later, but with a group of 9, these seats were perfect. Plus the lines for everything were so much smaller. Rarely a wait to make a wager, order a beer, or hit the bathroom. Also, since the track is on the beach, the sun can really be a bitch, so having our seats covered was a bonus.
  • I started off 0-3 in the first three races. I almost broke down in tears when I realized that I misread my handwriting from my morning analyses and beat on horse 7 instead of 1. 1 came in and I would of won $220.
  • One of my CRs, Emily, was on fire. I decided to jump on her bandwagon and made somewhat of a comeback. With breakfast, tickets, beer, food, and gambling for Carol and I, I was down $240. After the third race I was down about $400, so it was a nice strong comeback in the afternoon.
  • One of the races, the superfecta paid $69,000 and the trifecta paid $7000. A 60-1 odd horse won which Carol had in the trifecta.

No comments: