Jul 9, 2007

Ohio Amateur Preview

Tomorrow starts the 101st Ohio Amateur Championship. Kermit and I are playing; we had a practice round today. A couple of observations:

1) First hole - I was 35 feet or so above the hole; I then putted it off the green. In short, the greens are roughly 30x20 or so, but really we can only hit a 10x10 section in order to take the three-putt out of play.

2) Played in front of Jason Kokrak - the Xavier grad who played in the US Open - and two other high-level amateurs. Wow - an eye opener.
Kermit and I teed off #1 - we hit OK drives, and on that 430-yard par 4, we both had about 180 in. 4-irons.
We get to the green - and we see a ball come bounding down the hill, landing about 60 yards from the green.

We were outdriven by approximately 120 yards.

3) Course is 6700 yards, and has been changed from a par 72 to a par 70. Two par 5s are now par 4s, both about 485-490 yards. Driver-3 wood for me.

I played well, had 30 putts (no 3-putts)......I'm sure that means I'll three putt the first hole tomorrow.

2:30 tee time for me, with Kermit having a 2:50 tee time (with Chris Sabo). I think Kermit is officially the last person to tee off tomorrow.

No comments: