Sep 6, 2005

Sports Thoughts and Ramblings

There are many good posts on here about the New Orleans tragedy. I'm going to try to lighten up the mood a little bit with my thoughts and ramblings about the recent happenings in the world of sports.....

1) Listened to the Cubs broadcast on Monday on the drive home from St Louis. My God, Ron Santo is an even worse homer than has been described to me.

2) I see the Steelers have signed Quincy Morgan off the scrap heap, having been released by Dallas. In the words of Jerry Seinfeld, "good luck with that".

3) I usually hate sideline reporters, but I have a soft spot for Michael Barkan.

4) Speaking of the US Open, I love watching the coverage on USA. It's parly because I adore the night tennis atmosphere in New York, but also because this means football starts on the last Sunday of the Open. The more matches that are played, the closer we get to the Sunday kickoff.

That being said, I think we can improve on USA's coverage of the US Open. The announcers- Ted Robinson, and Johnny Mac - are great, but it is usually forced to sign off at 10 pm CT for some Law & Order reruns. There was a great match last night between Ginepri and Gasquet that was cut off in the middle of the 3rd set so that we can watch Michael Moriary and Jerry Orbach. Please - this is tennis's two weeks in the sun! Shouldn't USA be forced to stay on until all night matches are over?

5) I am woefully unprepared for the start of the NFL season. I think it's because I'm still paying lots of attention to baseball! Never fear, Eric's gambling picks will appear in time for the games on Sunday morning.

6) Speaking of the Indians, they never fail to impress. Scottie picked it up yesterday with a great outing, and Cliffy followed it up with a gem today. With the Yanks giving one away tonight, we are just 1/2 game back of the WC lead... on September 6th! Wow. Every day feels like Week 15 of an NFL season - with only 24 hours between the next set of games.

7) College football: How anyone can rank Oklahoma ahead of TCU is mind-boggling..... Reading the St Louis apers this weekend, it's like they are crowning Ron Zook a miracle worker because he beat Rutgers at home in OT. Read that sentence again.....Hope Romeo can emulate the same success Charlie had on the first week.....

8) Got tickets for Lambeau on September 18th! Tailgating question I need help with: how would you set your schedule for the weekend given the following constraints:
- assume 5 hours to get up to Green Bay, 6 hours going back
- assume you can't leave earlier than 6 pm on Saturday, and you'd like to minimize any vacation days on Monday
- Kickoff is 3:15, and you need ample time for tailgating
How would you schedule the trip? Madison is 3 hours away ( about halfway), so that could be a great place to stop and party Saturday night....

9) For the game, I think I decided not to order another jersey this year. I have a white #31 (William Green) jersey that's still in great condition that will be the jersey for 2005. I haven't had luck with purchasing jerseys recently - in 2003, it was an orange Tim Couch jersey (released in 2004) and in 2004 it was a brown Jeff Garcia jersey (released in 2005).

4 comments:

dzahn07 said...

Some other comments:

-You are welcome on the Green jersey.
-I hate tennis and I'm proud to tell you that I haven't watched a single match.
-You must tailgate in GB. I like the Madison game plan. Go with it.

skeetskeet11 said...

I'm sure the reason that USA switches to Law and Order re-runs is that they get better ratings than men's tennis. Honestly, I think that Doogie Howser re-runs would do better than men's tennis. I know at least one person who will watch the Doogie re-runs....which is more than I can say about the tennis.

On the tailgate thing, I think that you have to go balls-out for this one. I've never been, but I feel that this is one of those things where you can't go half-assed. If you go with restrictions, you're going to have a crappy time, everyone is still going to be pissed at you, and you're going to regret it the whole way back.

Eric Z said...

You've never been tailgating, or tailgating in Green Bay?

I have never been to Madison - I think it was rated as the #1 party campus in a magazine review a few years ago.

dzahn07 said...

Um...Lee has been tailgating before, I think he was trying to say in GB.

Yeah Eric, you have to make this happen. If needed, I can fly up there to make sure things stay on plan.