Sep 10, 2005

Finally back home

Couple of quick notes on my travels:

-How the hell do the Terps only win by 3 against Navy. Is Navy decent or are we just that bad. Now we are down 7-2 at home against Clemson. Ugh. Oh, now the Terps are up 10-7. Nice 4th down conversion.

-Not a huge college football fan, but man there is a just a huge amounts of great games already in the early part of the season. Here are my quick thoughts on the season:
1)Despite the early loss, Oklahoma will still beat TX.
2) Big Ten will be amazing this year with Iowa, Ohio State, and Michigan with great teams. Michigan isn't looking that good so far today against ND, so it might just come down to Iowa and Ohio State. Eric is big on Purdue, but I really have nothing to say about this.
3) The East Coast bias will really hurt USC this year if they falter against a solid Oregon on the road. Other than Oregon on the road, they really do have a cake walk to the National Championship again this year. Here is a question on the draft though. Is it possible that USC will have players go 1-2-3 in Leinart, Bush, and White in the NFL draft next year?
4) Pittsburgh- Was outclassed against ND last week and lost to Ohio last night. Wannstedt is just not a head coach. How many years will it take for everyone to realize this? And Cavanaugh is not a Offensive Coordinator. The difference between Carrol and Wannstedt is recruiting and game planning.

-This brings me to another comment on Wannstedt and Turner, two coordinators under Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys. How are these two guys still living off of their legacy from 10+ years ago? 10 years and just failed head coaching from these two with every team they were with. Turner with the Skins, Houston, and Raiders, and Wannstedt with Chicago, Miami, and Pitt. Its just amazing to me that there are GMs and ADs that still take a chance on these boobs every year, and writers will comment on their success with the Cowboys on why that team will succeed. Its like someone referencing my Spades Tournament organizational skills from college now in an interview with my current bosses. It just doesn't make sense.

Wanted to make this comment before, but my computer died. The Sportsguy is just slipping and getting way to political in his columns. His comments about the Bill Maher episode on HBO just continues to show how big of an idiot he can be sometimes. I watched this episode that he referenced, and it was just terrible. Now I think that John Stewart and Bill Maher's take on Bush and Republicans are almost identical, but the reason why I enjoy watching John Stewart is because he is funny and refreshing. I might not agree with Stewart, but he doesn't make me feel bad about not agreeing with him, and his skits and monologues are just classic. And he tries to present both sides (doesn't do that good of a job, but at least there is an attempt), respects different opinions, and he brings on all types of political guests and he conducts very solid interviews with them. On the other hand, Maher is just full of hate and I think he is stealing his jokes from 3rd graders. And the quality of his guests are just crap. If you have to resort to using "Josh" from West Wing as your main political advisor, you are in trouble. And for the Sportsguy to say that his jokes and analysis was right on, now puts him in the "John Kruk" category for political comments.

-Oh, but I will buy his book, or at least ask for it for my b-day (hint hint Eric).

-So I go from the San Remo in San Fran to the Four Seasons in Scottsdale. Now I've been to plenty of top notch hotels, but never a Four Seasons. And wow, what an amazing hotel. Everything from polishing your shoes, doing the laundry, turndown service that is second to none, and rooms that are bigger than most houses. And the service? Unbelievable. The first morning I get a wake up call and its actually a person telling me good morning and the expected weather for that day. The second day I get the wake up call, but accidentally hung up when I tried to pick up the phone. They called back, but I don't answer since I'm on my way to the shower. Before I can get into the shower (maybe 4 minutes), there is a knock on the door. Its security making sure I'm OK, because I didn't answer the wake up call. Then the last night I was there, I was coming back from dinner, the valet guy tells me to go to the front desk since there is a problem with my room. Security is there telling me that there is a swarm of bugs outside my front door and walks with me to my room to make sure everything is OK. How the fuck did they know I wasn't already in the room, and what car I drove? Pretty nice.

-So back to the San Remo. I sort of railed on it the first night I was there, but it got a little bit better over the weekend. I still think that the key to it all is to have a few drinks before going to bed. The place is cheap and I shouldn't expect anything more than a place to sleep and shower. I will stay there again the next time I'm up in San Fran or Oakland. Oh and I did find the shampoo, soap, and iron.

-Sonoma- Wow, what a nice place. Even if you don't like wine, it is worth making a trip up North to Sonoma, Santa Rosa, and Heildsburg. Stay out of Napa since its a little bit touristy. Great time, nice drive and an overall great day.

-Video Games- Madden Season starts up on Monday. My boys back East and I finally have 16 players with 2 teams each so we can do a complete season. Check out Hereford Nine for the Website and early lines for AFC/NFC/Superbowl futures.

4 comments:

Eric Z said...

So is this a real request, or is this like "Hot Sove, Cool Music"?

"If they falter"??? No, if they falter they don't deserve to be in the BCS title game if there are 2 teams that are undefeated.

I've always hated Maher, and Stewart is really gettting on my nerves - especially with his election coverage.

Isn't that neat when a person actually talks to you during a wake-up call? I was speechless when it happened to me.

dzahn07 said...

Response:

For Hot Stove, Cool Music, I think I said: "What Gammons came out with an albumn. Yeah I would really like that." This, is a real request.

Schillzilla said...

Was at the Terps game yesterday. Ugh. Up by 10 with 8 minutes to go and they allow two straight TDs. 5 personal foul penalties, they really just gave it away. It was brutally hot here yesterday, so I don't know if UM's D just got fatigued, played tight, or whatever, but the last 10 minutes of the game Clemson's offesive speed guys were wide open and we just couldn't even come close to catching them. Oh well, next week they play West Virginia so perhaps they can turn it around. On the plus side, the QB actually played OK and our offense looked like an average I-A level unit (vs the pathetic high school unit we trotted out last year).

I couldn't agree more on the Four Seasons. We stayed there when we went to Toronto last year and it was incredible. I think if you went to Siberia, but stayed at the Four Seasons you would swear that Siberia was a fabulous vacation destination. Ever since my sister got married at the Four Seasons in Georgetown, I've been firmly entrenched on the FS bandwagon. And I think that bill is still firmly entrenched in my dads wallet. Ouch!

Buck Super Stereo said...

maher is an idiot. i tend to pay attention to it for 5-10 minutes before i fall asleep on fridays.

i do tivo the daily show though. i do admit that his views are definitely skewed, but like z tells it, he invites people from the other side and has intelligent conversations. i'd like to see hannity or those other cronies on fox do as good a job at interviewing people with opposing views. fair and balanced my ass.

but i digress. i love what stewert offers me. i get to see what's happening, get a laugh out of it somehow (and it truly is fantastic writing to find ways to make light of situations like what the big easy became), and ultimately feel informed.

and his election coverage? fantastic. the election process is a joke anyway so why not laugh at it. now, i'm in no position to try to get in some big debate on how to fix things (and really, how can it possibly be fixed anyhow), so don't even try to goad me into it.

i guess people will say that its sad that i get the bulk of my news from a comedy/news show. but hey, i love jews.

other people find value in ministers that publicly pray for additional vacancies in the supreme court. oh wait. god does listen at times.