Sep 12, 2005

Random thoughts...

1) Derek noticed that I am not as despondent over the Browns' loss as I have been in the past. A good question.

My expectations for this team is not very high. I realize we are in rebuilding mode, and I know our defense is going to be terrible, since we are going to the 3-4, except we don't have the right personnel to do that.

So the game confirmed those concerns. We let the Bengals move up and down the field...bend,bend, bend, and then break. Argh.

I'm happy, however, that I can watch an offense move the ball. It won't take a penalty to get a first down. When you've suffered through Ty Detmer, Doug Pedersen, Spergon Wynn, and Josh McCown over the past 5 years, you kind of forget what offensive football is. Not to say Trent Dilfer is great, but when is the last time a Browns QB threw for over 270 yards?

This will take time. I still would like to see 6-7 wins this year, but I want to see progress. I got some (not all - playcalling was questionable, and penalties killed us) progress in that first game.

2) How's that front four, Denver?

3) Boy, did I get an earful from a whole lot of fans in the country when our Browns fans cheered Tim Couch when he got hurt in a Sunday Night Game vs. the Ravens on Oct 6, 2002. Remember that?
So what happened last night? Ravens's fans cheered when Boller went down. Hypocrites.
And I love seeing a QB controversy in the division.

4) The Bengals will win this division.

5) Which Mike will be fired first? Tice? Shanahan? Martz? Holmgren? Wow. All four had bad losses.

6) Pick for tonight: Atlanta 24, Philly 20. Take the Falcons.

19 games to go, we are 1 1/2 games up. Wow. Keep winning, Tribe.

2 comments:

dzahn07 said...

A couple of things:

1) Just because the Bengals won yesterday against the terrible Browns, you think they will win the division? Come on.

2) Browns will win 6 or 7? What happens if they only win 3-4 which is probably going to happen? When will it not be OK to suck in Cleveland. This has been going on for too long!!!!!

3) None of the Mikes will be fired. Maybe Tice, but if he wasn't fired last year, then I don't know what it will take.

4) Lost me on the Boller thing

Schillzilla said...

"Cinci will win the division"

I think we can point to these types of statements as vastly overrating what will happen based on 1 game. I saw them doing contender-pretender on ESPN!! Its one freaking game!! Two years ago the Pats got blown out by Buffalo 31-0, everyone said the same thing - Buffalo will be a force, the Pats hate their coach!! Blah, blah, blah. We all know how that worked out. Watch everyone overhype Miami now that they beat Denver AT HOME (they always win at home in the heat again northen teams), and undervalue the Jets because they stunk against KC (who looks like they could be decent). Its funny but going into week two is a bit like Groundhog Day.