Sep 27, 2005

It is Over....

I'm just going to steal from AthleticsNation since it sums up what I wanted to say perfectly, and I'm running behind a deadline right now.

By Blez on Mon Sep 26th, 2005

No, not in a Bill Paxton in Aliens kind of way. More a peaceful kind of way.

The A's needed to play perfect baseball to beat the Angels, and they didn't. Joe Blanton once again pitched to near perfection with nothing but a big, fat "L" to show for it. Two complete game losses to the Angels and he almost could've gone for number three tonight with 95 pitches through eight innings. I'd say Blanton is well established as a quality major league starter at this point.

The only way the A's have a shot is to now win the remaining three games against the Angels and then sweep the remaining games against Seattle and hope the Rangers can sweep the Angels. With Bazooka Joe pitching tomorrow, it doesn't look good.

But I'm going to wait to write the postmortem on the season until the A's have officially flatlined. I'd just like the A's to keep the Angels from celebrating an AL West victory on our field two seasons in a row. It's too bad that a season that seemed done long ago will come down to this.

Believe me, I'm positive about this season. Very positive, but it doesn't mean that it isn't going to hurt.

5 comments:

Eric Z said...

I know it is not officially over, but you have my condolences on this season. I wish you guys were in over the Angels.

But you should be set for a great run next year. Just get rid of Kendall. He's the only person who I have seen been compared to Felix Fermin - and that's not a compliment.

Schillzilla said...

Felix Fermin!!! Wow, what a name from the past! How long before a Buddy Biancalana gets dropped???

Honestly, it was a major miracle that the A's lasted as long as they did. An extremely young rotation, injuries all over the place, it just wasn't meant to be. But they'll be a factor next year.

Eric Z said...

Here is the link that compares Kendall to Fermin:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/kendall-power/

dzahn07 said...

I will write an A's breakdown shortly. Its tough not to be disappointed, but you are right. If you said that we would be in the race this late back in May, I would take it.

dzahn07 said...

Oh, and its bad that Kendall is a poor mans Fermin and he bats either 2nd or 3rd in our lineup!!!!