Mar 9, 2008

Philosophy in Vegas

Eric here, in my secret hideout one week before Selection Sunday. I'm in hiding so I can devote all my time to previewing the 90 or so teams that will be either in the NCAA or NIT for our Vegas trip....

Ok, ok, I'm in France this week. I'm all screwed up with the time - it's midnight here and I've had 4 hours of sleep in the last 38 hours, yet I am wide awak.

As we prepare for an avalanche of Vegas preview posts (started superbly by Layup), I'm questioning my philosophy in Vegas.

For next week only - are you gambling to win money? Or are you gambling to have fun?

Different answers to that questions leads us down different paths of money management/bankroll/etc. So most books that I read say that you need to answer this question clearly before going on any further.

Honestly, I don't know how to answer. I'm truly torn.

Talk amongst yourselves....

2 comments:

Don said...

First off, you all are killing me. I need to get something accomplished at work over the next 1.5 weeks, and the constant notes and reminders are not helping. Everyday I think about getting on the plane, watching The Godfather on my iPod, catching a nap and then hitting the Strip. 10 inches of snow this weekend hasn’t help.

I have a new approach this year. I’m going out to have fun. The approach of trying/expecting to win just hasn’t worked. The 2 restaurants look great, (I'm also going to brunch at Bouchon on Saturday for anyone that is interested). I’m really excited about the Cabana assuming its warm out. This will be the first golf of the season after a longer than expected layoff. And its been a while since I saw Leland. I’ve learned that he adds an unexplained and welcomed element to the group.

I also read up on Baccarat today. Simple game in the US, and there really isn’t much thought required, similar to black jack if you have “the rules” card in front of you. I’m really looking forward to spending some time here, Pai Gow Poker and the Poker Room (its been a while since I’ve played). I’m going to load up on the Boilers, saw that Els is 20-1 at the Masters (if that holds true, I’m in). Tribe is 10-1 for the Series, I like that as well (I hope we ride Sabathia hard this season, especially since he'll be signing with someone else next year).

Layup said...

Scary that I was just thinking about this fact and was going to post about it tonight. But after watching the Terps blow their season, I just ran out of steam.

Anyway, I'm torn as well. My approach is usually to have fun, but that becomes very expensive after a while. I'm going to sleep on it and post sometime later this week.