Sep 25, 2006

Your input needed

I'm taking input on how I am supposed to feel today after the crushing 15-14 loss yesterday to the Ravens. I have a feeling some of you in MD saw the game (and I provided about 1 1/2 quarters of play-by-play for Derek on the phone), so some readers may have their own, separate impressions....

I want to feel good about the progress of this team....

I want to get excited about the young core we have (Frye, Winslow, Edwards, Pool, Bodden, Jones, D'Quell, Wimbley....), the best set of young players since the return.

I love the fact that we have few penalties called on us.....

I want to hold my head up knowing we scared the crap out of the 3-0 Ravens....and we lost to teams that are (now) 8-0.

I want to feel like this team needs games like this to "learn how to win"....

but we are 0-3.

and we should have had last year to "learn" how to win.

and am I supposed to feel good about moral victories? What are we, Indiana football?

I've been waiting for 12 years for good football... do I have to wait another?

I am convinced we are better than the rest of the 0-2/0-3 teams in the league (Lions, Raiders, Texans, Bucs, Titans) and better than some 1-2 teams (Packers, Bills, 49ers).....but, again, we are 0-3.

I like our coach sometimes - and I'm not upset at all about the play call in the end zone.... but then I look back at the Saints game where we were completely outcoached and I shake my head.

I guess I'm optimistically frustrated. Does this make sense?

But we play the Raiders next.......I'm so scared of that game. If we lose, we are looking at 0-5 at the bye week....

(ok, mindless ranting over...)

5 comments:

Other Brad said...

I was really impressed with Charlie Frye. Braylon Edwards is a monster and although I dislike Kellen Winslow, he can be terrific.

I think you have some hope, but its time for a new O-line. Granted you lost 82 centers this year already so maybe things would be different. Also Droughns didn't play yesterday so I am not sure if that would have made a difference.

The Ravens were extremely lucky yesterday and should just be happy with the win because they didn't deserve it. I was overjoyed yesterday that we got the win just because we don't usually pull out wins like that.

I am not so sure that the Browns are better than the Lions, right now. One thing did show yesterday in my mind, the Ravens still aren't very good on the road.

Schillzilla said...

I'll always remember Parcells saying "You are what you are". The Browns are 0-3, they are a bad team. The reason why teams lose close games is usually because they can't make the little plays needed to win, or they do stupid things to let the other team come back. When you are 0-3, the reason you are 0-3 is because you aren't executing when you need to. 3-0 teams don't make those key mistakes, or they have enough talent and experience to be able to overcome mistakes when they are made.

I think it could be another rough season, but you need to stick it out with Romeo (probably not with Carthon as I'm not sold on him). The best thing right now is to keep some continuity. Also, that division is really tough, so the schedule won't give you too many favors this year.

Oh, and its official Mike Shanahan has a deed on Bill Bellicheck. That sucked.

dzahn07 said...

Along the same lines with Jay. You are 0-3 for a reason and 0-3 is 0-3.

How can you say that you are better than a 1-2 team? Also, tell me the reasons why you are better than all the 0-3 teams? Raiders, yes. Titans, maybe. But the others? Hmmmm.

Eric Z said...

1) Texans. We gave up 34 points to Cinci, possibly the #1 offense in the NFL - on the road. The TExans gave up 35 to...... Washington.

2) Lions. They scored 6 and 7 points in their first 2 games. Then they played the Packers - that doesn't count. We got 14 on the Ravens.

3) Bucs. Who is their QB now?

So there are 5 teams....

and, of course, this weekend will give us Oakland 20, Cleveland 17. I know this is coming, I just don't know how to prepare for it.

Eric Z said...

And by the way, I appreciate all the 0-3 comments. I do. This team needs wins to gain respect and make the fans feel good...... and they're not coming... yet.

Is this team the 03 Bengals? Or is this the 04 Browns, where...

1) the Browns were 3-3, hosting the Eagles (who went on to the Super Bowl that year)
2) we were severely overmatched
3) we took them to overtime, losing 34-31.

A lot of people said "the Browns have turned the corner! Look how close we played the Eagles!"

and, after that game, we lost 9 in a row. I am not kidding.

Was this (God forbid) the highlight of the season, like that 04 game vs. the Eagles? Or is this the third step in a 16-game improvement process?

This game this weekend is a huge sign.