Sep 7, 2006

Do I have a gambling problem?

Two stories from this weekend that I will tell ... and then the readers can answer the question if I have a problem:

1) Went to Louisville this weekend with Derek to meet Carol and her family. After dinner, it was decided that the family will take an outing to Caesar's on the west side of Louisville... well, who am I to argue?

I was there once - back in 2002, stopping off during a car ride to Cape Girardeau. That's the only time I set foot in the place.

We went to the craps table - I threw out $200 - and the staff asked if I had a card. I said no, I didn't get one when I was here 4 years ago. They asked if I wanted one - I said sure, I'll add to my collection of Indiana cards.

5 minutes later, the pit boss comes over, taps me onthe shoulder, and asks: "Did you use to live in West Chester?" Shocked, I said "y-y-yes!". He said "That's the address we have in our system for you.... shoudl we change it?". I said OK.

I am now in Caesar's/Harrah's system?

2. We went to the track with the kids, Derek and Carol on Labor Day. The 8th race was a race simulcast from Thistledown in Cleveland. There was a clear favorite in the race - horse #3 - with odds of 3/5 or soemthing like that. A couple other horses looked good, so I put $2 on them to win, and then picked an exacta with the #3 horse to win and #8 to place.

The race is coming down to the wire - and the favorite (#3) leads by a good 5 lengths. A longshot - not mine - is in second. As the horses finish, the camera zooms in on the finish line and we see #3 cross first.

The next thing we see is a jockey laying on the ground. Three horses zoom by in a close finish for second. They replay the race - apparently, the long shot horse fell down/crahed about 30 yards from the finish, throwing the jockey off.

It is not clear at all who actually finished 2nd, until they show the results on the board - #8! A $38 exacta hits for me.

It then hits me that the longshot horse probably would have to be put down.

What is my reaction?

Thanks for the cash! Hope you rest in peace!

No comments: