Sep 15, 2006

This is The End, My Only Friend...The End

That's right, cue up The Doors. As some of you know I've been consumed over the past few months with the dissolving of my company. It’s a process that is still getting finalized, but the decision has been made – I’m out. Basically we went bankrupt in July. Well, we haven’t formally filed for bankruptcy, but when you move out of your office, can’t pay you bills or anyone that works for the company, that is going bankrupt in my book. I’m currently transitioning away from that disaster and doing contract development work fulltime. It’s a bit crazy right now, but I’m much happier now. It was like a bad relationship with a girlfriend, you know you have to end it, you know you’ll be better off, but you’re not sure the right time or how to do it. And in the end looking back you wonder why you didn’t make the move sooner since you are clearly much better off without her. Oh well.

Yesterday, I got my first paycheck since the 4th of July! I ran to the bank like my pants were on fire. Its nice to get paid.

I am currently driving to the beach, with my son who hasn’t stopped talking since 6:30AM – so I am going to quickly get to some random things:

  1. Chernobyl (AKA 2006 Red Sox) – Ugh. I was actually in Boston for the 2006 Boston Massacre. It was like the entire city was attending a funeral, and I guess in some ways they were. You know things are bad when your best pitcher’s shoulder pops out of socket (Papelbon) and that isn’t the worst news of the day because your second best pitcher was diagnosed with cancer. Thank god they won the WS otherwise we would have been subjected to 1 billion Curse/Meltdown articles. I think its safe to throw away my ticket from Leroy’s for them to win the WS.
  2. I hardly ever drink alcohol anymore, but when I do I still enjoy it.
  3. I am excited for football season, but I’m not EXCITED like I normally am for some reason. I’m not sure why, maybe its because we will be out of the house for each of the next two Sundays and thus am out of my normal viewing routine.
  4. Speaking of football I wish the Pats just once didn’t have to win EVERY negotiation and not budge a millimeter. Maybe you give just a little to Adam V, and maybe you don’t initially lowball Branch on these negotiations (that they have known were coming since the start of 2005). They gave Branch a decent offer, but by that time it was too late. It should have never gotten to that. The major problem with what they did to Branch was they wanted to extend his contract not give him a new one. So there “real” offer was a 4 year deal (3 + 1 from original deal), and split up his bonus of $8 mil over two years. A far cry in guarantees compared to what Seattle gave him.
  5. High Stakes Poker on GSN is a great show. I know poker shows are seemingly on every channel (I think CSPAN2 has the Senate Poker Open on next week), but this one is really great. The last show Daniel Negraneau flops a full house, only to lose to Gus Hansen’s quads, the pot: $450,000. Nice.
Stay classy Flotsam and Jetsam!

No comments: