Sep 5, 2006

Two-sentence NFL Previews

After cramming for the past 5 days on the NFL and for my fantasy drafts (one down... one tonight... one next Tuesday)....the 2006 NFL season is now crystal clear for me. Here is what I see in store for each team:

AFC East:

4. NY Jets. What a mess. Pennington has a long way to go before I even remotely believe he is capable. 3-13

3. Buffalo. This team is making some strides, and JP Losman looks better. The defense in average, at best, which is their undoing. 6-10

2. Miami. The defense is old (Zach will have another season ending injury), and questions abound about Culpepper. Good thing they are in a weak division. 9-7.

1. New England. Process of elimination lands them here. Get ready to take the "over" on most of their games. 10-6.

AFC South:

4. Tennessee: A lot of the parts are in place, but they are 1-2 years away. Kerry Collins as mentor for VY - does anyone else see that as trouble? 4-12.

3. Houston: I am a big Kubiak fan. Not there yet, but this team will be markedly improved by the end of the year. 6-10.

2. Jacksonville. Can Leftwich carry them - and who will run the ball? Defense will win them 5-6 games this year. 10-6.

1. Indianapolis. Again, saved by a weak division; not as dominating as last year. It will be interesting to see how the offense adjusts without Edgerrin. 12-4.

AFC West: 4. Oakland: I don't want to jinx anything here, because if I call them out, they will turn around and beat the Browns. But there's not much positive here - Jeff George? 3-13.

3. San Diego. I'm not impressed with Riveers, and the division is tough. And who is still the coach? 8-8.

2. Kansas City: Someone, somewhere, compared Herm Edwards to Ray Nagin - always running around and seemingly in control, but nothing happens. Incredibly apt. 9-7.

1. Denver: Can Plummer keep it up - is he like a bottle of 1998 Shiraz from Australia? And I see that both Courtney Brown and Gerard Warren are injured.....shocking! 11-5.

AFC North:

4., 3., 2. Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh. Complete and utter ineptness for each all year. Three way tie at 0-12-4.

1. Cleveland. Need I say more? Charlie is in the hall of fame next year, waiving the 5-year eligibility rule. 16-0.

More seriously....
4. Baltimore. I'm sorry, I'm not a believer. Rational people can debate this, I think, and respect each other's opinions - but Billick hasn't done anything with the O in Baltimore; why do people think it will start now with the aging McNair? 7-9.

3. Cleveland. I'm already on record with this prediction. This defense looks good and will have people stunned by week 6. 8-8.

2. Pittsburgh. God, I've gone back and forth with this. But I don't think Parker can handle the load, and the loss of Randle El will impact them more than they thought. 10-6.

1. Cincinnati. I've changed my mind after monday's game. I know, I know.... 11-5.

Playoffs:
Denver (3) 23, Jacksonville (6) 10
Pittsburgh (5) 27, New England (4) 24, OT

Indianapolis (1) 27, Pittsburgh (5) 17
Cincinnati (2) 34, Denver (3) 17

Indianapolis 31, Cincinnati 23

Now for the NFC:

NFC East:

4. Washington: I just don't like the way they look right now. I think I'm more comfortable with Cleveland's QB situation than the Skins..... 7-9

3. Dallas. I can't trust Bledsoe, and the TO soap opera will last the whole year. Still, there is a lot to like here. 9-7

2. Philadelphia. McNabb is back, and they will use the two weapons they just got (Stallworth and Gabriel). However, have you seen the back end of their schedule? 10-6

1. NY Giants. The defense is there, and I think Eli will continue his progression. God, am I picking the media's darling --- no, that's Dallas. whew. 11-5.

NFC North: 4. Green Bay: This team is awful. They signed our backup LB (Ben taylor) who got run over multiple times by the Bus - and expect him to contribute. That's how bad their D is. 3-13.

3. Detroit. Nope, I don't see it. RRD, is this the year we officially put Peter King away into the insane asylum? 6-10.

2. Chicago. Invoking the Browns' rule again here... if the defense is so good, then a) how did the Browns (and Trent Dilfer) score 20 on them last year, and b) 29 against the Panthers in the playoffs. Who is their QB again - and is he more provne then Charlie Frye? 8-8.

1. Minnesota. For whatever reason, I like this team. The team jelled last year without Culpepper; Johnson is the perfect QB, and the defense is slowing improving. 10-6.

NFC South

4. New Orleans. I don't want to oplay these guys at the end of the season. Bright times are ahead, although they need a 2nd WR and some linebackers. 5-11.

3. Atlanta. Overrated with a camera-mugging coach. Sounds like the NFC's version of the Baltimore Ravens. 6-10.

2. Tampa Bay. Simms impressed me last year down the stretch. Although Galloway won't have a career year like last year, Clayton will make up the difference. 10-6.

1. Carolina. Jon Fox is a hell of a coach. They have the weapons on offense, and a great defense - the complete package. 12-4.

NFC West. 1. San Francisco. Yes, sign me up on the Gore bandwagon, but Alex Smith is Mormon for "Tim Couch". Are there any impact players on D? Does Ronnie Lott count? 4-12.

2. Arizona. I have to - this is the anti-Atlanta Braves. Pick them here until they show you otherwise. 6-10.

3. St Louis. bulger being healthy is worth 2 wins, right? But that D is not improved. 8-8.

4. Seattle. Like last year, this team will clinch the division by Veteran's Day. But I think the fire just won't be as big as last year. 11-5.

NFC Playoffs:
(3) NY Giants 20, (6) Tampa Bay 17
(5) Philadelphia 27, (4) Minnesota 23

(1) Carolina 31, (5) Philadelphia 16
(2) Seattle 27, (3) NY Giants 20

(1) Carolina 33, (2) Seattle 23

Super Bowl 41: Carolina 27, Indianapolis 23

2 comments:

RRD said...

Did PK really pick Detroit? I've avoided reading his schmaltz for the last month. I like hearing second-hand how he called Americans overweight, and got called out by his readers for being a fat ass.

In the next five years I predict PK makes a TV pilot; his head is growing by the day.

Eric Z said...

Here it is - don't read if you have liquid in your mouth:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/09/04/mmqb/1.html