Sep 11, 2006

Wedding, Football, and Kentucky

Where do I begin? This past week was absolutely fantastic. This was the first vacation since my trip to Spain 2 years ago where I didn't do any work. Want to know why? Well my hard drive got fried somewhere between Eric's basement and his kitchen table. So much so that they had to hotswap my laptop on Thursday. And by Thursday I was in full wedding mode so I didn't do a thing until this morning. Ahhhhh. So nice. Here is the recap of items over the past week.

1. So my laptop crashed and I wasn't able to recover anything off the hard drive. Last time I backedup??? 7 months ago. And that hard drive is now corrupt and I can't get my lotus notes archive....Ugh. Lost all my pictures, databases, and reports. This will take me at least a week to rebuild everything. So today is now officially "Backup your fucking computer DAY".

2. When going back east, I will now only do week long trips. So relaxing and I'm not trying to cram family, work, high school friends, college friends, and other items into a long weekend. Made for a much less stressful week. So nice and relaxing and made me hate Baltimore a little less.

3. Had a great trip seeing Eric and the boys. Corrupting them might becoming my new hobby. Taught the oldest one to stop saying he has to go poop and now to say that he has to drop a deuce. You're welcome Eric.

4. Had a nice dinner with Wiz and Lee on Wednesday. Oh, and I almost forgot, I finally met RRD. What a dork. He fits the typical guy who graduated from Virginia.

5. At dinner, we came up with a great idea of having a golf tournament with guys that we know. Between Wiz, Eric, RRD, Don, Kermit, Maier, and several others, I'm sure we could put together some type of Ryder Cup Tournament. Almost like a Maryland vs everyone else Cup. How great would that be. Wiz and Lee vs. Eric and Derek. We could easily put together two teams of 12. Make Lee and myself captains and make the teams. Organize something for early spring back in Maryland. More than enough time to get a team together and plan for travel. And just think of the gambling options on this. Ahhhhh!!!

6. Speaking of gambling on a Ryder Cup tournament, Wiz just had this at his club. Great story. Two teams of golfers at the club and Wiz booked all the action. Asked him how it turned out and he said he got taken to the cleaners. Four figures. Ouch. Hope he learned a lesson on how to set odds. Heavy favorites need to be at least -600 and not -180.

7. Main purpose for my trip back was Jon and Suzie's wedding. Here are some highlights and lowlights of the festivities:
Highlights:
-Getting to see all the boys again on Friday and Saturday with all of them bringing their A material. Richie was in classic form and Currier continued with his onslaught of jokes and antics. Combine them with solid players in Dude, Keith, Neil, and Bruce made it a very enjoyable two nights.
- The video guy, who at first pissed me and the entire wedding party off by being intrusive and clueless, but redeemed himself by fixing our microphone issue for the wedding. He was upgraded from duochebag to cumguzzler despite continued problems figuring out who the groom was.
-OK, despite giving him loads of shit Suz's little brother Greg was fantastic. To cap off the week of festivities, I found him nearly passed out, lying on the floor in front of an elevator at 2:00am on Saturday. I hope he made it back to the room.
- To Jon, who wanted to dance with Suz during the last song, but was in the middle of doing shots with us, who put his shot down, walked away, and then ran back, slammed the shot after we were all heckling him, and chucked his shot glass on the grass. For a guy who doesn't drink, this was one of the most impressive displays of taking a shot out of anger that I've ever seen, which received a full round of applause from us (and mad respect).
-To Ariel, who was a dancing maniac. The best was when she was "backing that ass up" into me while my mom was looking. The look of disapproval was classic.
-To Richie, who walked in to the kitchen on Thursday night to see Suz, her sister, and her mom (divorced from Suz's dad) and was introduced to Suz's mom. He kept on saying that he has met her before, with Suz and her mom saying that they haven't. He then comes up with the time, location, and event where he thought he met her before, with Suz responding that is where he had met Suz's dad's girlfriend. Classic "ohhhh" response from us guys in the living room, with Richie just shrugging his shoulders, pouring himself a glass of wine and joining us on the couch. Classic.
-The band. I usually hate live bands at weddings since I feel like they are a waste of money. They normally play the same crappy dance songs that a DJ would play, but it is off tune. But this band, The Moonlighters, were the best!! I would actually go see them play in a bar. Blues and Jazz during the dinner and solid covers the rest of the night. And their appearance made them even better. All big black guys (with one women) that had little to no teeth. And when they introduced the wedding party, it was off the charts. When I get the video and sound for this, I will try to post. It was like a superbowl player introduction. I can not do justice for how they sounded.
-Overall great wedding. The perfect location, perfect people, perfect colors, and was perfectly organized. Perfect enough that my mom only made a few comments which was silenced by the overall praise of the entire event.
Lowlights:
- The wedding planner. All of us were calling her a fat pig, with Jon trying to quiet of down so nobody would hear us. She was terrible. Useless. I have at least 4 different stories that would warrant her being fired. But the icing on the cake was when the maid of honor didn't have the ring, with the wedding planner running up, without shoes, to give it to her. WHERE THE FUCK WERE HER SHOES??????? Seriously, did she eat them? And didn't she see that the maid of honor ran off the stage to find the ring? Where was she???? She is now in my top five women that I would have no problem hitting. I hope Jon reads this and post the name of the company that she works for so that nobody will use them in the future.
-Embassy Suites- Crap, crap, and even more crap. They were late with the bus, there was no rhyme or reason to where they put the rooms, and they almost threw out Jon because he was being too loud in the room. And the manager tried to yell at me to get back into the room, with me just laughing at him. I will be making an official complaint to Hilton on their operation.
-Women and weddings- They are all crazy when it comes to this. Even if they swear that they are not like other women, ALL women will go crazy during their wedding (or a friends wedding). Much like the below women.
-Bridal party- Why was it that it was the groomsmen helping out with all the wedding stuff two days before the wedding? Where were all the bridesmaids? Richie, Keith, Ray, Dude, and myself must of helped Suz, Amy, and her mom tie 300 bows around the programs and gifts. Where were the 7 bridesmaids?
- To the Maid of Honor- I like Amy a lot, but she was more stressed than the bride. And then she forgot the ring and trashed me during her speech. Nice.
-My mom- for bringing pictures of me when I was 9-21 to the wedding and showing them to everyone.
-Wedding Pictures- The groom saw the bride before the wedding so they could take pictures before. While I love the idea, to me this is like inviting the gooch to dinner and then trashing his mom. He might not strike immediately, but something might happen down the road. I'm just saying.....

8. The Browns- The game was showed in the LA area because of Reggie Bush. While Eric was not impressed with Bush, he did gain 150 yards in total offense (138 if you subtract his returns) in his first NFL game. What more can you say? So I watched the entire game so that I could talk to Eric about it. Winslow was impressive. Frye was better than average. But the offensive line was the worst I have ever seen. Frye had to scramble for his life on every single pass play and Droughns only rushed for 29 yards. Don't get me started on Droughns. I lost by 2 points in my one fantasy league because of him. If I would of started Barlow instead I would of won easily. Anyway it will be a long season for the Browns if they don't shore up that line, even if Frye can continue to scramble like he did. New Orleans is not a good team defensively. When the Browns do play someone solid on defense, Frye will get hurt. And nobody wants to see Dorsey at QB.

9. Bookie- It was so relaxing and nice not having to worry about any of this. Its nice to be out.

10. Ravens- I was seriously going to put money on them after Wiz told me that this was his lock of the week. How was the first week Wiz?

11. And to top it off, what would a post be without an office story. Before I left to go back East, I had the toilets replaced? Why, because I was tired of pissing on myself. I actually had handicap toilets installed. Well they were installed about 10 days ago and the handyman who did this, put the old toilets NEXT to the dumpster, not in the dumpster. On the Friday before I left, I told my management staff to make sure that the toilets are put in the dumpster or removed. Well, of course they didn't do this. So on Tuesday when everyone came back into the office from a long weekend, we had a collection of bums hanging out and sleeping next to the toilets. And what was in the toilets? Hmmmm...shit. So they had to call the police and the hazmat team to pick up the toilets. The garbage company would not take the toilets since they were soiled. So instead of meeting with my staff to go over results from last week, I had to have a meeting with my management staff about following my direction. Idiots!!! All of them are idiots.

5 comments:

Other Brad said...

Excellent Blog my friend.

Please don't kick my mother.

The Dudeman said...

Derek, I think you forgot one highlight. Jonny mentioned to me that sometime Sunday (I think), Sooz's mom came over to their place and when Jon went to turn on the computer there was a lovely present waiting for him as a background. It was apparently such a good one that he wouldn't tell me exactly what it was, but I can only assume that it involved at least one scantily clad man with plenty of cockandballs showing. I don't know if that's your doing Z or if it was Curr, but what a great way to end the weekend.

dzahn07 said...

Totally forgot about that one. I will take credit for doing it, but it was Keith who reminded me.

Buck Super Stereo said...

indeed, that was by far one of the best speeches i've heard at a wedding. you have poise and a storytelling ability that i would have never guessed.

that's not to say that i lack respect for you or anything, its just that your speech came about 5 minutes after i looked at all those pix of you with your head on top of a skinny person's body. it was just a little disorienting.

dzahn07 said...

Two points of clarification on the post.

Suz was not crazy the day of the wedding, only leading up to it. I'm not ragging on her for that, its just that I hate when other women say that they don't get stressed only to find out that they are bridzilla.

Secondly, I might of overstated the impact that the groomsman had in prepping for the wedding. Yes we did some stuff, but the majority of it was completed by Amy and Suz's mom. My comment was only to other bridesmaids. Where were they?