Sep 20, 2006

Mazda RX 7

When did this car become a classic? I remember my ex girlfriend's friend had one and he thought that he was the shit. I would just sit there scratch my head and just smile so not to cause any waves. Yesterday I received a complaint call from one of our insureds who got in an accident that totaled out his 1992 Mazda RX 7. We had given him a market value of $4,000. He said that this was too low. So I asked him how much is he asking for and what proof does he have to support it. Well he stated that it was worth $40,000. $40,000 for a 92 Mazda??? Why??? He went on to tell me that these are classic cars and that he restored the car and it cost him close to $40,000. I was so stunned by his stupidity that I responded with "Sir, I can rebuild a 90 Toyota Camry for $120,000 if I bought all the parts piece by piece, but this doesn't mean that it is worth $120,000. Its still a 90 Camry. " I also went on to explain the true definition of a classic car and how he had to get it appraised and titled differently. He actually understood and shortly hung up feeling like an idiot.

2 comments:

RRD said...

So that is where my $39,967 of blow went.

dzahn07 said...

The last time I saw your Probe it was in bad shape. This is what we call a "rolling total" and would give you $500 for it. I can't believe you still have it.