Jun 29, 2006

Golf update from Tuesday

Well, since you didn't hear from me on Tuesday, golf didn't go well.

Let's just say I made an 8 on a hole.

On a par 3.

Of 130 yards.

With no penalty strokes.

But I did 1-putt the hole!

The par 3 had a hazard in front, and a huge embankment behind the green that went down a good 70-80 feet. I hit an easy PW, and the ball flew too far, kicked off the back of the green and down the hill. The hill was cleared out, so that ball rolled... and rolled... and rolled, about 60 yards down the hill, about 50 feet below the surface of teh green. Oh - and there were plenty of trees on the embankment as well!

5 chips later (it kind of got fuzzy for a while there, after successive attempts hit a tree, then came up 20 feet short with the ball then rolling all the way back down to my feet), I got the level of the green; and from there I made a nice up and down from greenside rough. 8.

I missed the cut by 10 stroles, which seems like a lot, but as I review, only 3 swings cost me:
1) the 8 on a par 3 (5 strokes)
2) A missed layup on a par 5 caused me to then hit my 3rd shot into the water from rough (2 strokes wasted)
3) A bad drive into heavy weeds on a par 4 caused a triple (3 strokes).

There's your 10 shots right there.

Anyway, I did learn that "Flgapole Sitta" is a pretty good song to have in your head while you play. My tempo was smooth as I was singing: "Paranoia, Paranoia, everybody's coming to get me...." during my backswing.

2 comments:

RRD said...

I hate BS courses where they frame a green entirely with extreme runoff, into woods. The same thing happened in a two-man best ball on a par 5 when both my partner and I laid 78 yards from the green, in the fairway. We staggered to an 8.

The worst part of such a hole is you don't give a sheet afterwards, and try to drive every par 4 and cut every dogleg, probably adding more strokes as the round progresses.

I golf to 'Dancing on the Ceiling'.

Don said...

Here is the kicker. We played that hole on Thursday and it was marked as a yellow hazard behind the green. Apparently they removed that designation for the tournament. Idiots.

Plain and simple, my putting let me down. But switchin' putters was the absolute right thing to do.