Jun 5, 2006

College vs. Pros

Interesting question on the John Sickell's website last week. I would advise him to go pro, since if he is that good, he won't stay in school anyway. Will be very interested in hearing what Jay, Eric, and the Gooch say since they all have young boys.

Today we will shift gears a bit. What if your son was a hitter? Here is your theoretical son:

Your son is 6-3, 185 pounds, righthanded hitter and thrower. He plays shortstop in high school, has a strong arm and good range, but his hands aren't the best and a lot of scouts think he will move to the outfield as a pro. He has slightly above average speed, above average power, good strike zone judgment, of course. He is from a cold-weather state, say Wisconsin, and while he's played in some showcase events and done well, he hasn't been on the national team or anything like that. He is intelligent and emotionally mature, and would do well in college.

You have scholarship offers from the following schools: Nebraska, Creighton, Minnesota, Kansas, Wichita State, and Oklahoma State. He is NOT assured of a freshman starting spot for the Cornhuskers, Shockers, or Cowboys, but the Gophers, Jayhawks, and Creighton Blue Jays are all willing to give him a full shot for a starting lineup spot as a freshman. Scouts say he could go in the third or fourth round if he is willing to go into pro ball out of high school.

So, what do you advise your son? Is the situation different because he is a hitter instead of a pitcher?

3 comments:

Other Brad said...

Although this argument does not go for any sport but baseball, for me, I would tell the kid to go pro.

I maybe biased because I had three friends elect college over pros to all have career ending arm injuries (only 1 being a pitcher).

Eric Z said...

I know this is a cop-out, but it depends.

Given that Sickell has stated that: "He is intelligent and emotionally mature, and would do well in college.", I would tend to push him to go to college.

Too many things can happen in an athletic career that would shorten the length of the career - injuries, coaches, bad luck - that I would like him to have the fallback of a college education in case things don't work out.

If I didn't think he'd do well in college, I may then encourage him to go pro after high school.

But, given the genes that Freddie and Warren have going for them, I don't think I'll have to worry about a serious athletic career for either of my boys.

dzahn07 said...

Why do I always picture Warren and Freddie as "Pinkie and the Brain" plotting to take over the world.