Jun 12, 2006

Car Accident Weekend

Before we get to the big story of the day, there is another car accident to talk about.

1) Had my own car accident Saturday morning - went up to play golf with Don and two others, and rear-ended another car on the exit ramp. A 3rd guy was - for whatever reason - making a U-turn from the entrance ramp into our exit ramp lane. He had to cross a 6" median to do this. The guy in the truck in front of me stopped for this idiot; I slammed on the brakes but slid (it was wet) right into the back of the truck.

I was going about 25 mph or so when I hit him; the truck had minor damage (a dent in the back bumper) but my Camry folded like the 2000 TrailBlazers. The left front fell apart; the hood buckled and nothing was left of the lights/signals. No one was hurt.

This was my first two-car accident (I had an incident in my red Celica in 1995 with a "Keep Right" sign; that was FIVE DAYS after I bought the car, my first car with a new job). I have to say, I am very impressed with Allied's service and responsiveness.

2) Most painful part of the weekend (and yes, I am including the accident, so that is saying something): buying new cell phones. WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO TAKE FOREVER? We were in there for an hour and a half. I missed most of the Ivory Coast- Argentina game for this!

3) What to say about Big Ben's accident? Well, my first thought was that I hope it was not life-threatening. Once the news reports became clearer and it seems like he will have no problem surviving.....

well, I don't know what to think. I'm trying not to smile, but I can't help it. I don't want Ben to have any long-term deformities (like losing eyesight or anything), but if he's out for a while with these injuries, then so be it. I've had enough from a lot of people making fun of our buddy Kellen Winslow. These accidents , while not comparable, do have some similarities ---- they could have been prevented.

I really want to take the high ground and say something like "I hope Ben fully recovers and makes it back to the field for the opener at full strength".......but it's hard for me to say that. I certainly want him to recover and get back to "normal" functionality. After that.....

Does that make me a bad person? And for those of you who say yes, did you feel a little smile when:
- Winslow went out in 2005 due to his accident?
- "8-ball" Lewis went to jail last off season?
- did you feel any relief, Steeler fans, when Palmer went out with an ACL?

I'd love to have a Wonder Woman truth rope for any Steeler fans who may object to these thoughts. I would love to know their feeling during last year's playoff gme in Cincinnati.

They'd say "We didn't want to win that way"....
But they think "But too bad... hee hee... it just worked out that way".

Again, I want to be clear that I truly hope Ben is not physically maimed for life in this incident.

2 comments:

RRD said...

The situation was best summed up by my Father, a lifelong Steelers fan, when asked to assess:

"Well, we never claimed to bring them up smart in Pittsburgh."

dzahn07 said...

He got what he deserves. Sitting there bragging that he doesn't wear a helmet and then gets in an accident where he broke his jaw and split his head open doesn't deserve anything more than a "You're such an idiot" comment from the public.

Now if its not that serious of an accident, then why did he go through 7 hours of surgery. I'm sorry but I don't think Ben is as OK as they are all stating. When the DR comes out and states that everything is OK with his brain, spine, and heart and really doesn't talk much about anything else, I'm sure that he will not be ready to play come fall.

And I second Mr. Wolfinger's comments on Jay Williams and will add that in college when B. Hurley was in that car accident, I think we threw a party that night in his honor. So I think that you are OK Eric.