Mar 13, 2007

Random thoughts on the tourney

First of all, there is a $35 NCAA pool out there that I play in. The rules reward upsets - a correct pick gets you the seed times the round number. So if Winthrop wins a 2nd round game, that's 22 points if you picked it.
The website is www.levittsledger.com.

Quick thoughts on the tournament after 24 hours of reflection:

1) I am convinced Winthropwill beat ND - and so is everyone else (except Digger). As my friend Paul (who is a big ND fan) just said in an email - this game is like Md playing College of Charleston 10 years ago - everyone picked Charleston to win (in a 5/12 upset) and lo and behold, they did. Is it the same here?

2) Why is it soooooo hard for people to type these lettters in the bracket:
M
E
M
P
H
I
S
No question in my mind - none - that Memphis will go to the final 4. Who will beat them?
Nev/Creighton aren't athletic enough
Tex A&M got screwed and will lose to Louisville in round 2
Ohio St is overrated.

3) Both UNLV and BYU are massively underrated.

4) I still don't understand how Va vand Va Tech got their seeds.

5) VCU should stay right with Duke, if not win.

6) The Ten-LB game is like the stock market in 1999 - the totals just keep going up, up and up. It opened at 163, it is now at 170 in some places!
(but I am considering the under. Only one coach has to make the decision to slow it down and throw the other team off....and that's it for the over. Look, a 84-82 game is still under!)

7) First #1 seed to lose: I think Kansas. They are too inconsistent. Look for them to get toppled by Southern Illinois.

8) Upsets in the first round, possibly: ODU, Winthrop, Illinois, VCU, Arkansas.
I'm recanting on the Albany pick ( thanks to you, rrd).

9) Indiana-Gonzaga? BC-Tex Tech? I just don't care.

Kenpom.com score predictions coming tonight. This should shed light on some solid over/under plays.

No comments: