Mar 24, 2007

Friday Night

Ugh, I'm hurting. Last night my office had a March of Dime Poker event off-site. It was at this lady's house in Long Beach with a $30 entry fee with half of the proceeds going to the March of Dimes. They had about 30 players, most of them being employees of mine. I ended up getting to the final table with a very small stack but battled for a while and doubled up twice late to be the second largest stack. Then out of no where, they called the tournament since it was going too long. Why do you do that? Anyway, I didn't complain since they were my employees and I'm not going to make a big deal about it. Also I came in second place and finished in the money. When they gave me my winnings, I just gave it back to the lady hosting the party and made sure that my winnings either helped cover some of the cost of all the food or it went to the March of Dimes.

Now I've been on a huge wining streak in office gambling pools over the last year, but my hands are tied to actually keep the money. I never want to take money from these guys so I either end up using the money to sponsor some of the employee's kids sports team or I just dump it into our activity fund. With my Superbowl square winnings in 2007, I'm now the proud sponsor of the Signal Hill's 9-10 baseball team. The winnings purchased a new banner which they display in their dugout at every game. Last year's March Madness bracket and Superbowl squares winning allowed us to have close to a $1000 tab at our Christmas party.

So with that type of action I usually get invited to a bunch of these things. Happy Hours, Poker events, wine tasting and such, since the younger employees think that its cool that I drink and gamble and when I win I give up the money. I will usually go but step out early so everyone can cut loose a little more without the boss being there. But the only problem is that I have to watch my drinking. For example, last night I was splitting a 1/2 gallon Capt Morgan with one of my supervisors (25 years old) and a claim rep (22 years old). I let them make me a drink twice and it was like drinking gasoline. Is this how our drinks used to taste back in the day? Never let your young employees make you a drink. Never!!!

No comments: