Feb 7, 2006

Final Thoughts on the NFL

Yes, the result of the Super Bowl makes me upset. I'm not quite as infuriated as the result from The Super Bowl That Never Occured (tm), but frustrated nonetheless. Why? No one wants to see their division rival win. As I said earlier, I want everyone to suffer until I get a ring in any sport.

To see the refs play an important part in that game, well, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Do I think that the game was fixed? Well, to quote "The Incredibles", "The law requires me to say no". If you put Wonder Woman's truth rope on me, I'd say no. But it's becoming clearer and clearer that the refs put some teams in position to win.

For example, the Browns ran back 4 kickoffs/punts for TDs this year. They were against the:
Bengals
Ravens
Colts
Lions

Which 2 of those TDs were called back on questionable penalties?
Which 2 of the above teams made the playoffs?

The answers, of course, are the same. Draw your own conclusions.

Now, Seattle did enough things wrong to lose on their own. As Don said, the clock management by Seattle was Butchie-esque.
And then there was the trick play. The Steelers have run this sort of play two or three times this year. Any AFC North opponent can tell you to expect it. AND THEY ONLY RUN IT WHEN THEY ARE LEADING IN THE SECOND HALF!!!

So what happens? Seattle seems to be caught off guard by the gadget play inthe 4th quarter when Pittsburgh is leading, 14-10. That's all on Holmgren. I don't care if it was a 2nd string safety in there - it is the coach's job to get everyone ready to play.

I don't ever want to hear the Steelers described as a "smashmouth" team. The trick/gadget plays are a vital part of their offense. Nothing wrong with that - but let's not call them a "throwback", "old-fashioned", or any of that nonsense.

No comments: