Sep 30, 2007

NFL Picks Week 4: Jack Klompus


This week reminds me of the classic Seinfeld episode with the Astronaut pen.

There are so many road favorites - or, in other words, home underdogs - that Vegas is begging you to take the points. This is a big rule of mine...home underdogs usually do well.

Just substitute "points" for "pen" in the dialogue below and you have my reasoning for this week.

TAKE THE PEN!


JERRY: What kind of pen is that?

JACK: This pen?

JERRY: Yeah.

JACK: This is an astronaut pen. It writes upside down. They use this in space.

JERRY: Wow! That's the astronaut pen. I heard about that. Where did you get it?

JACK: Oh it was a gift.

JERRY: Cause sometimes I write in bed and I have to turn and lean on my elbow to make the
pen works.

JACK: Take the pen.

JERRY: Oh no.

JACK: Go ahead.

JERRY: I couldn't

JACK: Come on, take the pen!

JERRY: I can't take it.

JACK: Do me a personal favor!

JERRY: No, I'm not...

JACK: Take the pen!

JERRY: I cannot take it!

JACK: Take the pen!

JERRY: Are you sure?

JACK: Positive! Take the pen!

JERRY: O.K. Thank you very much. Thank you. Gee, boy!

Gee boy, will we get into as much trouble for these picks as Jerry did for taking the pen? We shall see.

Oak 24, Mia 21. I like what Kiffin is doing with this team. Not sure if we can trust Miami with anything yet.

Hou 20, Atl 13. I think at the end of the season we will look back on this and wonder why this line is so low (when Hou is 10-6, and Atl is 2-14).

Chi 23, Det 17. I know, I know...going against my home underdog principle here. But Griese will be an improvement.

GB 16, Min 13. Another road favorite. Yikes. But how will Minnesota score?

Dal 28, StL 20. No, I don't think St Lou will be in this game - but they will make it closer in the end.

NYJ 20, Buf 13. Again, I'm taking the visitor. Can we really trust the Jets?

TB 24, Car 21. I am impressed with the Bucs.

SF 27, Sea 24. I think the 49ers will pull this out at home.

Pit 30, Az 17. At this point, how can you not predict this? Pit is firing on all cylinders right now.

SD 20, KC 17. Much closer than people think.

Ind 31, Den 13. Denver is wayyyy overrated.

Phi 27, NYG 20. Can the eagles keep the momentum going? I say yes. McNabb should be able to work the Giants' non-existent D.

NE 31, Cin 27. A Monday Night classic. back and forth. NE will win in the end (and then be tired and overlook next week's opponent.....)

Best bets for week 4: (last week: officially, I was 7-5-4. Season total: 24-18-6.)

Oak +3.5
Hou -3
Hou/Atl Under 39.5
Chi -3
GB/Min under 38
StL +13
NYJ -3.5 (that hook worries me....)
TB +3
TB/Car over 39.5
SF +2
Sea/SF over 40.5
Pit -6
KC +11.5
Ind -10 (changed from 9.5 to 10 overnight....)
Phi -2.5
Cin +7.5

1 comment:

Layup said...

Sorry I'm late on this, but you will have to trust me on my picks.

Indy
Indy Under
49ers
Car
Atl
Atl Under
Ravens
Giants
Giants Under
Vikes
Lions
KC
Bengals
Bengals Over
Jets
Cowboys