Jun 4, 2007

Rules of crying

When talking with Eric the other day, he mentioned to me that he cried a little when the Cavs won the East. First, why are you so excited since they haven't won anything yet, and secondly why are you crying???? What is happening to our society where it is respectable for men to cry. I have men in my office crying because work is too tough, I see my sports heroes crying from time to time as they retire, and now my own brother???? Next you are going to tell me that I will see my Dad cry this fall when he finally has to put his lawnmower to rest.

Anyway, I have created three easy rules on when it is acceptable to cry:

1. When someone close to you dies.

2. When your kid is born.

3. When your team wins a championship.*

*Only OK if you are over 30 and this is your first championship with the team or if there has been over 30 years between championships. So when the Cavs finally win the Championship, it is OK for him to cry. When the Sox and the Pats won the championship, it is not OK for Jay to cry, but it is for his dad. Got it? Good. And one last thing, you have to do in the comfort of your own home, by yourself, in your basement.

Then I thought, what happens if your team losses. Well I have never felt like crying before after a super tough loss. All I have felt in the past was pure anger. I was so angry I could punch a baby and walk away happy. And I could always hear a little voice in my head saying "Good, I can feel your anger. I am unarmed. Take your weapon. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete"


Anyway...what about athletes? I hate it nowadays. Why is Lebron crying? Why are all of these coaches crying? The only time I feel like it is acceptable is when an athlete or a coach who has been with a team his entire career brings home a championship towards the end of his career. I'm just tired of all of this shit. Am I the only one? Have I posted about this before? I'm out.

7 comments:

Eric Z said...

Derek:

I think we are more in agreement than you think.

But first:
- crying is different than shedding a tear. And I think the Bill Russell-LeBron James thing merited a tear, but not crying.

Now, our agreements:
- absolutely right about work. No crying at work. Go to the car if you are upset.

- No crying about losing, unless you are 8 or something (see Red Right 88, Jan, 1981). When the Browns lost to the Steelers in the playoff game of 02, I was furious. The only thing that made me feel better immediately was to watch the Giants blow the game ot the 49ers that afternoon.

There will be a lot more crying when the championship is won, by the way.

And I believe you can put a 4th acceptable time to cry:

4. When you favoirte sports team in your favorite spectator sport decides to stab you, the city and its fans in the back by moving.

Will you allow this amendment?

neild said...

What about when Michael Vick runs for a 40-yard touchdown against the Vikings in overtime to beat the spread?

Eric Z said...

Neil, good point! I think when money is involved, you can do whatever you want. Even if it is a $5 bet and you win the bet on a crazy play, you have free license to behave how you wish.

Layup said...

Shedding a tear? OK, just one on certain occasions. But it can only be just one. But you should be prepared to be made fun of non stop by your brother and friends for it.

And two ammendments:

4a. Eric's comment about the team moving is OK.

4b. You can cry only when you lose enough money in gambling that will result in the folling:
-Divorce
-Becoming homeless
-Having to perform sexual acts with the same sex to pay off the wager
-Losing a pet or a kid in the wager

All other cases, you should slug the person next to you who gooched the game by making crazy comments like "You got this one in the bag" and then laughing as Vick scrambles 40 yards for the TD to cover the 3.5 point spread.

4micah said...

You got your team back....quit crying. We lost out team too you know!

Eric Z said...

Here's another one, Derek:

In the 2003 US Open Sectional - the 16-for-1 36 hole qualifier for the US Open, I saw Jason Kokrak - then a high schooler at the time from Warren, OH - cry after the second round.

He shot 70 in the morning and was very close to the lead; he then shot 77 in the afternoon and ended up losing to Chad Campbell (the eventual winner) by like 6 shots or so.

(Me? Well, after my bogey-bogey-double-double finish in the morning for 78, then starting out the afternoon with a triple, I had a smile on my face the whole rest of the day while being watched by the Youngstown Mafia)

I mention Kokrak because he did qualify for the Open this year - he is a junior at Xavier.

So, is coming so close to a dream of playing in the Open a good reason to cry?

Eric Z said...

And Micah - wah. Just proves that Cleveland fans are better and more powerful than the helpless Baltimore fans.

we forced the league to give us a team. What did you guys do? Whine?