Jan 16, 2007

Lights Out Marty!

What a game on Sunday! The Chargers absolutely gift wrapped that game in so many different ways. A few dumb penalties, some missed plays, throw in a couple of key Marty blunders, and you have another Pats playoff W. Some key points from the game:

- If you ever hear fans or media of another team saying things like "The coach doesn't block or tackle","players play the game", etc. Then those fans do not know what it is to watch a well coached team week in and week out. Will you hear Jets fans say this right now? Pats fans? Nope. I remember dumb people would make that argument for the "Tuna Bowls" during the Pete Carroll Era. How did that work out???

- It was clear that the Chargers had superior players, and really were the better team. If you swapped coaches, I think the Chargers win by 14 points. They dominated the game statisically, but they kept shooting themselves in the foot, and let the Pats hang around. Then as the game got close, they tightened up, left that door slightly ajar and the Pats blew right through it. How do you challange that play? Then how the heck do you call timeout after an injury timeout at the 4:00 minute mark!?? How!??! That is almost as bad as punting with 1:56 to go, down by 3 with 2 timeouts (Andy Reid).

- OK, I admit the Pats went a little overboard in the postgame celebration which really irked Tomlinson and others. But seriously, if your teammate (who is roiding) goes crazy with a "lights out dance" after a snap which he didn't even make a sack (he tallied a "hurry" of Brady), and you talk smack all week in the papers, what the f do you expect when the 3 time champs beat you in your crib??? If you can't take getting taunted back, then don't do all of that stuff. Maybe Rosie Colvin running down the tunnel (where the both teams were going to their lockers) shouting "You can turn out the lights now, cuz your season's over chumps!!" was probably a little bit much. But seriously, stop the whining. Stop talking about the celebration, start talking how you choked away a 14-2 #1 seed season and lost in your crib to an inferior team, in a game you were winning by 8 with 6 minutes to go.

- One final thing on this Chargers silliness. Their big point was act like you've been there before. Well, how the hell do they know how to act!?! What big games have they won, that would tell them how one should or shouldn't act after a big playoff win?? Oh, thats right their next big playoff win will be their first one.

-Brady was pretty bad in that game. I know he was clutch when he needed to be, but if Troy Brown doesn't cause that fumble he would be remembered for throwing 3 picks in the final game of the season. He missed several throws that he would normally make left handed. Of course, he made up for it by nailing that 49 yard bomb with the game on the line and the two minute drive before halftime.

- One more thing on Brady. I'm sure this week we'll here some of the Joe Montana comparisons, and for my money he really was the best. I don't think he is at that level yet, but one thing is interesting if you think about it. Where is his Roger Craig? Where is the Jerry Rice, the Dwight Clark, the John Taylor? I admit his defenses have been much better than the 49ers, but when you compare the offensive teammates, it really isn't even close (except maybe Dillon in 2004 was probably equal to R. Craig). I thought the offensive crew in 2001 was the worst I have ever seen (on a good team), but this crop is right down there too. Gaffney, Caldwell, Troy Brown...yes!

- Speaking of Troy Brown, how many HUGE little plays (if that makes sense) has he made over this run? Blocked kick / punt return in the 2001 AFC CC, playing 25 snaps of defense against the 49 TD Manning Colts in 2004 divisional, huge catch to setup the GW FG in SB XXXVI. Truly amazing all around football player.

I'm not sure what to think of this game against the Colts. The Colts defense is playing better, and the Patriots really can't show Peyton anything he hasn't seen before at this point. They have played each other so many times over the couple years. Logic and history tells me that the Pats will win. Belichick is usually great with the same season rematches. But, I'm not really that confident.

3 comments:

dzahn07 said...

A couple of things since this game made me so mad:

1. Fuck the Chargers and all their crying. I agree 100% with Jay. If you are going to have a guy like Merriman on your team, then shut up.

2. I will say, I love this shit though. I love it when another team rubs it in at the end, as long as you win. Just like with all of the fist pumps in baseball or when TO slammed the ball down on the star. I love it. I'd rather see that than Merriman's stupid sack dance anyday of the week.

3. Funny you mention Troy Brown. Austin and I were just talking about how great that guy is. It seems like every year he is doing all the small things for the Pats. Great player to have.

4. Colts-Pats??? I have no idea. And as I was telling Eric, I don't know who to root for.

dzahn07 said...

Once I get down there, I will take ownership of the Probe and Carmel Valley. Be ready.

Eric Z said...

Good post, Jay.

I agree with much of what you said. The clock management was terrible, as was the review.
However, I'm now rethinking the Personal Foul. I've never know a Marty team to be undisciplined. Marty's Browns never did that, and neither did Marty's Chiefs.

Are the players today (Merriman, for example) just un-coachable in that sense? Every team - and I do mean every one - does it to some extent. (See Gaffney, Jabar). Are they mentally less coachable than others?

But you are right about the retailiating showboating. I have no problems with the Pats doing that. (As long I neer hear another peep out of you for KW II next year, Jay. Browns 27, Pats 24 on October 28).

I truly believe that Troy Brown belongs in the Hall of Fame. Not just for his talent, but also for his willingness to do ANYTHING to help his team win. That has to be rewarded in this day and age.

I see Marty has reupped with the Chargers. I don't want to hear any whining from SD fans next year....

Do you really think that Belichick has thrown everything he has at the Colts? I'm sure there are more wrinkles he has to confuse Peyton. I'm now starting to think that he held stuff back in November, sacrificing this game in order to confuse the Colts in January.

I get a perverse pleaure out of seeing media-hyped people get beat down over and over again - I would be very happy if Peyton didn't go to a Super Bowl ever. However, this would mean ANOTHER SB appearance (and win) for the Pats & Belichick, which kinds of makes me ill.......

I hope for a very good game - and maybe a missed Vinatieri FG will decide it. Irony of ironies.