Aug 20, 2006

Ryder Cup Blogging

Well, 10 of the 12 spots for the US Ryder Cup team are all set. Six are Ryder Cup veterans:

Tiger Woods
Phil Mickelson
Jim Furyk
David Toms
Chad Campbell
Chris DiMarco

along with four - FOUR - rookies:

J J Henry
Brett Wetterich
Zach Johnson
Vaughn Taylor

Yikes. Out of the four rookies, no one - MAYBE Zach - strikes any fear into the hearts of the Europeans.

Lehman will announce his 2 captain picks on Monday. I think Davis Love III is a lock for one of them. Who will be the second? Tim Herron? Stewart Cink? Corey Pavin?

I'm rooting for Fred Funk. I think he will be a key player on a shortened K Club course (Europe's captain, Ian Woosnam, has already said he will set up the course to negate the American's length advantage) - and Funk won't be affected by it. Also, he'd be a great veteran presence on this team.

I can't argue if it's Pavin, however.

3 comments:

RRD said...

I'd guess Love III and Cink, although I'd love a Couples pick.

Call me crazy, but I really like the US chances, even on foreign soil. Work the rookies into rotation with the gregarious veterans (DiMarco, Toms, Mickelson, assuming Cink), while letting Woods/Furyk run wild, and a lead can be built going into Sunday.

Ranking the US team in order of strength, I see the current 10 being:

Woods
DiMarco
Furyk
Toms
Johnson
Mickelson
Wetterich
Taylor
Campbell
Henry

Good pairings can be made from combining new and old. I'd like to see Johnson/Mickelson, Wetterich/Toms, Wetterich/DiMarco.

Eric Z said...

Any chance that Lehman pulls a "Europe 1999" and keeps one/two of the rookies out until Sunday?

I mean, Vaughn Taylor?

I'm guessing that henry, taylor and Wetterich plays ust once before Sunday. Zach will play 2 or 3 times because, well, I like him.

RRD said...

Cink and Verplank

I am fond of the picks. Consistent performers who can keep their emotions in check, and will be easier to pair with the rookies than any superstar (Couples/Love III) who could have been chosen.

Also great putters.